PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable bridges....

joro
Aug-16-2008, 9:35am
I bought a mando online...didn't come with a bridge so I bought a used adjustable one at a local shop...I think it's ebony...
after many position changes...I think I found the sweet spot but, on the last seven frets of the D and A strings it bottoms out....

looking at the bridge I can see a definite "sag" in the middle...

My question is "what to do?"

Do I shim up the middle? (brace with some kind of material in between the top of the bridge and the base.)

Do I adjust the bridge with the post wheels? (this will raise the action on all strings and I really like the action as it is now.)

Do I buy a "new" bridge and start over?

It's an A style mando...probably a Kay from the mid fifties...arched top and back

any and all help/advice would be appreciatd..I am a true novice with mandos...

Thanks..

sunburst
Aug-16-2008, 10:56am
Start over with a new bridge, or at least a new saddle if you can find one that fits the posts and if the base is good quality and fits the top.
The reason that bridge is "used" rather than still in use is probably the sag. Many bridges do that over time.

Frank Ford
Aug-16-2008, 5:36pm
Another simple approach is to take the saddle off and sand the top flat, recutting the string notches as necessary. That will eliminate the functional effect of the sag. Later, if it continues to sag unacceptably, or fails entirely you can replace it.

joro
Aug-17-2008, 4:38am
Thanks fellas....
I think I will try sanding the saddle first.
I read a bunch of threads here about bridges and starting with a new bridge that needs to be shaped to the arch seems beyond my ability.

Thanks again! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-17-2008, 6:37am
Joe - Go with Frank Ford's advice !. He's one of the best 'fixers' around. If you do have to (decide to) fit a new bridge completely,ALSO refer to Frank's website. He runs through 'how to do it' in detail. I've applied Frank's methods re.doing things a few times & never failed to produce a good result,
Saska