PDA

View Full Version : Rover rm75 f mandolin

forestabri
Aug-14-2008, 3:25pm
Hi, I've been registered here for awhile but rarely stop by as mandolin isn't my main instrument, and I wonder if I can get some advice.

The new Asian F models have been catching my eye for a few years but I've been a bit gun-shy because I bought a Washburn about ten years ago and it turned out to be a horrible instrument.

In the last couple of days I've been checking out the online instrument sites and have noticed the Rover RM75 F Mandolin, (the new sunburst model) and heard an mp3 file of one being played and for $500 it sounded pretty good to me, decent chop, decent bass. So I called Janet Davis music and talked to a guy who has had one for a few years and he said he really likes it, and that he originally planned to replace the tuners, bridge and tailpiece but so far hasn't found any reason to. I'm very tempted to buy this one. Mando, hsc, set up, and free shipping for $500.

Anyone have any thoughts, warnings or any other insight on these mandos? Thanks!

Brad Weiss
Aug-14-2008, 3:31pm
These are usually Kentucky Km675s with less attractive woods, therefore finished with a darker stain. #I think they're a good deal. #$500 sounds only a tad steep to me, but probably in the right ballpark.

Good luck, buckaroo!

forestabri
Aug-14-2008, 3:52pm
Thanks Brad. This is one of the newer ones in sunburst, not the brown one:
http://www.themandolinstore.com/ProdImages/RM75a.jpg
I think I'll go get it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Tim Pike
Aug-15-2008, 12:24am
I own one, have had it about 2 weeks. I bought mine from the Mandolin Store-set up, hardshell case, tuner, book and picks for $499.00 (free shipping). I have the dark brown stain model. I have had no problems and enjoy playing it (but I still don't sound like Bill Monroe-darn it)

Greg H.
Aug-15-2008, 8:45am
Those are in the catagory where you're decidedly better off if you can try it yourself. I've played some where they seemed an excellent buy for the money. Then again I've played a couple that sounded like you could do better putting strings on a cigar box. Of course there could be a number of reasons there (e.g. if the strings hadn't been changed since 1957 or something like that). If you can't play it yourself, call and have someone there play the one their going to send over the phone (this isn't all it could be, but if it's really going to sound like @#$% then you can probably tell) and make sure you can get a day or two to try it out and decide (I don't believe that's a problem with Janet Davis music generally).

BlueMountain
Aug-15-2008, 9:18am
My first F was a Rover RM-75, back when it was half the price they are now. It's all solid wood, and expect the sound to be equivalent to whatever the lowest-priced Kentucky F is with all solid wood, merely with a less-expensive (and possibly thinner) finish. If money is a problem, you can get an A-style, all solid woods RM-50 for about $150. It's a nice mandolin. I have three at present (I buy them used and resell at cost to kids who want to learn to play). Surprisingly, most seem to come with a pretty decent set-up. Pretty good bluegrass mandolins for the money.

Steve Ostrander
Aug-15-2008, 9:54am
I played one at Elderly a few weeks ago. I was surprised that it sounded as good as it did for $500. I think that Elderly does a good set-up before they go out on the foor, though.

lovethemf5s
Aug-15-2008, 10:09am
I bought a new Rover RM50 from Elderly a while back. It's basically a good mandolin for the money but this one must have slipped past Elderly's set-up guys. The Chinese strings were a little better than rubber bands and the slotting on the plastic nut must have been done by an apprentice worker. After I had a bone nut and new strings installed it plays and sounds very good.

earthsave
Aug-15-2008, 10:52am
IMHO, I'd buy sight unseen from Janetdavismusic. I've had good experience buying from them.

forestabri
Aug-15-2008, 12:17pm
Thanks everyone for the info! I called The Mandolin Store and Brian played it for me over the phone. They also had an mp3 I listened to. I bought it for $499 with a hard shell case and free shipping! It will be here tuesday. They have a 48 hr trial period. I'm selling two mandos to help pay for it. I just got $200 for an old kit-built "Kentucky" that has a slightly twisted neck. Will probably sell an old dept. store 60's mando (no name) for $70. Out with the old and in with the new!

Jim
Aug-15-2008, 4:45pm
I really like my RM-75, good tone, action & balance.

forestabri
Aug-26-2008, 4:21pm
I've played the mandolin for about a week and I've decided the action is a bit stiff at the first fret. I'm going to change the strings (broke one already) and may file the slots a tiny bit. I have nut files and have made several nuts before so I'm not too nervous about it. The neck relief is fine and I plan to try lowering the bridge a tad first to see how that feels. Other than that, it sounds amazingly good for $499.00! Better than an Eastman I played for twice the price. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Thanks for the helpful advice.

Jim Broyles
Aug-26-2008, 4:57pm
Use this article from FRETS.com (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html) as a guide for fixing your action at the nut.

forestabri
Aug-26-2008, 7:58pm
Thanks Jim. Frank Ford is my main source of info and his website is where I learned most of my tune up and repair knowledge. Frank rules! On the other hand Michael Lewis is going to be 30 minutes away from me this weekend (Strawberry Music Festival, Yosemite CA) but I don't have tickets...