PDA

View Full Version : Red diamond

red7flag
Aug-14-2008, 8:24am
Have any heard both, or even one? What is your impression? What is the difference in sound? I know the 8k difference in price. Any insight would be appreciated.
Tony

F5G WIZ
Aug-14-2008, 8:41am
The couple Red Diamonds I have heard were awesome. Great tone, great bark and amazing projection. Have never got to play one though.

Rick Schmidlin
Aug-14-2008, 10:40am
The Crusher is a Crusher, both would put a smile on my face. Don is as good as it gets and the Crusher is as close as you get to a Loar.

John Gardinsky
Aug-17-2008, 2:51pm
Don will make a Vintage F with the "Crusher" voicing or with the "Reischman" voicing. If you want the artist's Replica model however that is when the price jumps way up. The Vintages are the same except for the lack of special headstock inlay and artist signature. I had an oppurtunity to play several(6) of the vintages recently. It was like a mando candy store. I did not play a replica. There was a discernable difference between the voicings(Reischman vs.Grisman). Both voicing types had outstanding tone across the fretboard and ample volume. Don has really spent a lot of time studying the Loar graduations and arching schemes. Although I had a preference it was difficult to choose one voicing over the other as a favorite. Now my name is on his list.
John

Carleton Page
Aug-17-2008, 6:31pm
John,
Did you chose a voicing yet or do you chose when your name comes to the top of the list? Do you dare describe the how they differ? Are all his vintage f models one of these two voicings?