PDA

View Full Version : Mt first oval-hole build

Stephanie Reiser
Aug-13-2008, 5:20pm
When Gail posted her F-4 pics, I fell head over heels. What a beautiful instrument. Then when Hans posted a few F-4 pics awhile back I became smitten. So I had to work one into my list, for myself. I knew it would sound differently. But I loved how they look. So, here goes. Strung it up for the first time today (8/13/08).
Englemann top, Red maple back (I think, it was in my stash), Big leaf sides, Mahogany neck, Gotoh tuners with Mike Blohm tuner buttons, Bill James tailpiece. Alchohol analine dye, and water-based varnish. This is the 4th instrument I have used that finish on, but this time I have problems that I can only blame on humidity issues. I may wet sand it this winter and refinish it.
It has a very interesting sound - kinda like a guitar on the G and D strings, with a big boomy bass. Trebles are very nice, and this thing is very loud. I will probably use it mostly in my folk music duet where i am strumming songs with lots of chords.
Sorry for the bad pics, and thanks for looking.
Now time to tidy the shop a bit and get back to my list.

Stephanie Reiser
Aug-13-2008, 5:23pm
Moderate curly maple.
The ebony center inlay on the Mahogany neck was an achievement for me.

Stephanie Reiser
Aug-13-2008, 5:27pm
I went with the double flowerpot. No trussrod, since it has several historically accurate features going for it.
I debated on using the word "The" but finally decided what the heck.
I'm getting so that my woodworking is adequate, just need to learn staining and finishing.
Thanks for looking.

JEStanek
Aug-13-2008, 6:55pm
Swet looking, Stepanie. I would be super proud of it.

Jamie

timv
Aug-13-2008, 8:13pm
That's really beautiful, Stephanie. Terrific work! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Chris Biorkman
Aug-13-2008, 8:19pm
Looks nice. Good work!

red7flag
Aug-13-2008, 8:36pm
I really like the look, especially the top. There maybe some issues that you can see that did not come out in the picture. Great job.
Tony

Yonkle
Aug-13-2008, 8:44pm
I like it alot. How did you like getting the fretboard flush to the top? My #4 was a F4 and that part seemed like it was hard! Anyway great job, looks old fashion! I like the mahogany necks on F4's it carves like butter. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Congrats !

Stephanie Reiser
Aug-14-2008, 5:31am
Thanks everyone.
John, yes, I underestimated how much wood I'd need at that point, being used to building F-5's. I ended up leaving that area alone till I had the neck dovetailed to the body, and even had to graft a piece of spruce back on. I think I did a decent job of that, as if I didn't show you you'd never know. Dark stain in that area, you know.
I loved working with the mahogany in a mandolin context, though I have used it on guitar necks. But my guitar necks are built from a flat board with the headstock glued on and the heel being built-up, whereas this was carved.
I can't get over the tone. It is different from an F-5, but very pleasing in its own way.

Hans
Aug-14-2008, 5:58am
Congratulations Stephanie! The shot of the back reminds me of my '21 F4. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

MandoSquirrel
Aug-14-2008, 4:27pm
That looks NICE! I like the look of that finish, too, from the photos. Hope if you re-do it it turns out this pretty again!