PDA

View Full Version : Appalachia Waltz

grsnovi
Jul-04-2004, 11:47am
Warning: No mando content...

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Mark perform his "Appalachia Waltz" material with Carol Cook on violin/viola and Natalie Haas on cello. What a great show!

I first stumbled into these recordings due to the mando-flavored UNCOMMON RITUAL release and decided that the hybrid style was interesting and went in search of others in a similar vein.

Anyway, Mark can sure play - but (for me anyway) it was the cello that stood out. Mark made a few comments during the evening, one being about the most frequently asked question he gets (what's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? his answer: about a million dollars) he went on to comment that possibly the next question that sticks in his mind is: Can you fiddle on a cello? Seems like the answer is yes.

I discovered that I was sitting next to Mark's father, who had made earlier comments about probably going to sleep during the show (he didn't). At one point after the intermission Mark's dad became the proud father and hit me up with some interesting facts about Mark's playing history. Mark has been winning competitions on various instruments since he was a little shaver.

The young lady playing the cello was a mere 19 and she was easily smokin' parts that Mark wrote for and played with Yo Yo Ma. She was amazing!