PDA

View Full Version : Ultex Picks

Don Grieser
Jul-04-2004, 11:16am
They were supposed to be out in June. Has anyone found them yet? Didn't see them on FQMS website.

Ted Eschliman
Jul-04-2004, 2:17pm
Well, I hope I'm not premature on this bit of news...
I've been in touch with my distributor on and off since April (when they were first supposed to come out).
I got a call from my rep Friday that I might be seeing them as soon as the end of this week!
(Finally! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif )
I've got 1.00 gg on order (That's the thickest they make right now). I can get these out (6/pk) for about $5.00 incl shipping (US).
Email me if you can't find them locally; I'll be taking Paypal orders when they arrive. (Several here already have some on order with me...)

Coy Wylie
Jul-08-2004, 10:24pm
Ted, is there any news from the distributer yet? Are you ready to take orders?

Ted Eschliman
Jul-14-2004, 9:23am
Well, I guess I was premature...
I've spent a considerable amount of time on dialogue between Dunlop, my distributor, and those excited & anticipating the Ultex 1.0.
I got a concise answer via Email from my rep this morning:
"Hi Ted,
Frustrated with the conflicting info from Dunlop. I had #our purchasing dept. call and find out why there have been delays. Here's the story: They have apparently been having problems with the die cutting machines that are used with this particular pick. The 1.0 picks will be the last to ship because of over heating machines.
The other, lighter picks will ship "within weeks" according to Dunlop. At least we are up to date with current info."

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Ken Berner
Jul-14-2004, 9:52am
I have tried the Dunlop Ultex 1.0 (Rhino), but it doesn't do the job for me; can't hold a candle to either the Dawg or Golden Gate faux tortoise heavies. An Ultex 2.0 might be the answer, though!

This is way, way off the subject, but does anyone remember the song, "Old Flames (can't hold a candle to you)" by Joe Sun?

jasona
Jul-14-2004, 10:28pm
Ultex 1.14 large triangles...Ted pass this message back up the chain!

Meanwhile I will sit back and enjoy the teardrop 1.14...such a sweet sound!

Nolan
Jul-21-2004, 8:12am
Hmm... I wondered if they were going to come out with a large triangle. The Clayton Ultem seems to be made from the same suff, does anyone know if it is? I've used the Claytons and reshaped them into rounded triangles and they polish up really nicely. I look forward to trying out the Dunlops when they come out...

Ted Eschliman
Jul-23-2004, 10:26pm
Breaking news...
They listened to us! Ultex 1.14 'Tri' ARE now in the lineup!
They said they are in the process of shipping the lighter guages (though I have ours yet). Hopefully they'll be in my store soon after I get back from NAMM.

jasona
Jul-23-2004, 10:38pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

As soon as you get them in I'll take a pack Ted!

Ted Eschliman
Nov-03-2004, 5:27am
Whooey boy.
At long last, they're out (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=11610&exact_match=on&query=retrieval).
Cool thing: they DO stay stiff longer than 4 hours, and no guys, you don't have to call your doctor...

J. Mark Lane
Nov-06-2004, 8:06pm
Two packs of the big triangle Ultex 1.14's arrived today, from Ted's shop. I like this thing.

I have tried about every pick on the market. I can't play worth two cents, but I am picky (ha ha) about my pic. For a long while now, I have been using the D'Andrea Proplec 1.5, and haven't found anything else I like as much. I sometimes use a Clayton Tortex 1.14, but it really isn't stiff enough for me. I have an "Ivoroid" pick made by Greg Boyd that is nice. But mostly the Proplecs are my favorite. (The Wegens do nothing for me, and I can't see how anyone can play an instrument with one of those Dawg or Golden Gate things.)

This Dunlop may be my new favorite. Haven't decided yet. But wow, drop it on the table, then drop about any other pick. Listen to the difference. The Dunlop really does ring.

Well, back to testing this new toy...

Mark

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Nov-07-2004, 10:35am
Got mine from Ted and took 'em to a job last night. I had a couple of "tortis",one with points on the corner, and one rounded off mondo model, a real tortise shell and the ultex in my pocket. Changed on practically every song in the first set. My impressions were that while I thought the ultex had better tone, I could play faster with the style "C" tortis. It just seemed slicker and produced an easier tremolo. Maybe I'll take a bit of the point off the ultex and see what happens.

I'll say one thing, it's sure a lot less expensive trying new picks than buying different mandolins! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

jasona
Nov-07-2004, 6:31pm
Just got back from a conference to find my set waiting from Ted, and another assorted set of Wegans from the Classifieds. I have to say, the large Ultex is what I wanted--it has a nice, clear, full tone. Crisp, but not strident or thin. The only Wegan of this bunch I like is the 140mm. It plays very smoothly, but its tone is missing a bit of the very top; it sounds just a tad muddy and dull compared with the Ultex.

Thanks Ted!

acousticphd
Nov-08-2004, 1:44pm
I agree with Ken. I'm interested in the positive reaction to these picks, but confused as to why a pick mfr would stop at 1.14 mm as their "ultimate thick" thickness. Surely they could make a couple of additional thicker gauges, too? Like 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 mm? It's a plastic triangle. I'd be interested in trying the 1.14, but my guess is it'll feel too thin, like the Clayton 1.14 does. I like the idea of a pick that doesn't cost more than a buck or too, so I use the Golden Gate picks. I like the thickness, but I usually slightly sharpen a couple of the "points" so I have several choices of pointiness with each pick.

J. Mark Lane
Nov-08-2004, 8:33pm
The Ultex 1.14 does feel "thicker" than the Clayton 1.14, imo. It's a much more acceptable feel and tone to me, and I tend to prefer a 1.5 at least. OTOH, I do agree -- I woudl like to see an Ultex in 1.4 or above, or maybe 1.6.

Mark

Ted Eschliman
Nov-08-2004, 10:06pm
Just as an aside, the 1.14 were the last ones Dunlop released. If you recall, they kept pushing the delivery date back; what was to have been released in April, ended up taking all the way to November.
There were about two months after July they thought they'd be ready, but were delayed by broken machines. This material is so tough that they tore up the machines that cut them.
This is why the thicker ones took longer to get to market (the retooling), and possibly why they might be reluctant to make them much thicker.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Nov-08-2004, 11:14pm
This is why the thicker ones took longer to get to market (the retooling), and possibly why they might be reluctant to make them much thicker.
Maybe we could get Jesse James at West Coast Choppers to cut some out with his new CNC machine! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Lane Pryce
Nov-09-2004, 8:03am
I like the 1.0's. Easy to hang on to and I can get a balance of volume and tone that I perfer. Lp

ira
Nov-09-2004, 11:43am
hey ted, are the ultex less flexible than most "plastic' picks. i like a bit heavier/thicker but not ultra thick pick with a tad of flex to it. generally in the .86-1.0 category. would the ultex be comparable in flex to others of these thicknesses?

thanks,
ira

jasona
Nov-09-2004, 2:53pm
ira the Ultexes are significantly stiffer that other picks of comparable thickness.