PDA

View Full Version : New ellis a5 model

pjlama
Aug-10-2008, 11:11am
I was the very proud owner of Ellis #100 but a bad MAS flare up had me sell it. Lately I've been missing that huge Ellis sound; notes so thick they're like drops of honey and pop that would make Orvile Redenbacher blush. Well, I noticed in the mandolins in progress thread that Tom (Mr. Ellis) had a couple of pictures of an A5 jig and a top going on, intriguing... I was trying for another F5 Ellis but just don't want to go that big on price and sacrifice another great mandolin just to feed my disease. But I did call over to Ellis to ask about the F5 I was looking at to make sure it was a good one. I spoke to Tom and we talked about #111, (the one I was eyeing, fantastic BTW) and the subject of the A5 came up. I'm sorry if I'm spilling the beans here but I'm way to excited not share my enthusiasm. The Ellis A5 will be a production model and out in the next couple months! Even better it should be right around 5k. I'm sure some of you will say "5k for an A5?" but if you've never played an Ellis believe me that's a BARGAN! Tom said the A5 will use the same quality woods as the F's and same incredible voicing, plus that beautiful varnish and a 22 fret fingerboard. I've got to have one! Here's the pics from the other thread, I can't wait. Also please understand I'm just relating information so I could be wrong on a few points but I'm sure it'll be the bee's knees.

pjlama
Aug-10-2008, 11:12am
and the top.

Chris Biorkman
Aug-10-2008, 11:23am
I saw that and was drooling too. I wish this had been an option back when I bought mine. I could have saved thousands of dollars. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif $5,000 for an Ellis is a bargain in my estimation. Now all he needs is a two point. So I take it you are going to get one?

pjlama
Aug-10-2008, 11:32am
Oh yeah, I'm getting one. I played #111 the other day and was ready to hang myself for selling #100 but now I can get that tone, volume and power for less than half as much? Screw the scroll give me the tone. It's going to be hard now when those 'I have 5k to spend on a mandolin come up' what are you gonna say? Anyway, I'm well passed excited about this I just hope Tom doesn't shun me for letting the cat out of the bag, I guess I could have a friend buy it for me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Chris Biorkman
Aug-10-2008, 11:35am
I'm sure he'll forgive you. After all, you do help promote his work on this site and your input definitely pushed me into buying one. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

pjlama
Aug-10-2008, 11:36am
NFI of course just a fan, how's yours sounding these days, it should be opening up by now?

Chris Biorkman
Aug-10-2008, 1:37pm
Its getting better and better every day. I love it.

sgarrity
Aug-10-2008, 3:40pm
This new A5 project is exciting. Can't wait to see one completed.

Jeff Chu
Aug-11-2008, 10:52pm
hey guys, that sounds awesome. how long does it usualy take for Mr Ellis to complete one of these? and how customizable would they be? like if it was an oval hole...

pjlama
Aug-11-2008, 11:42pm
They should be available after IBMA. Generally the Ellis stuff isn't customizable only slight requests and I don't believe there will be an oval but if your looking for a f-hole this is the ticket.

ellisppi
Sep-01-2008, 5:03pm
here's the top and neck waiting, and waiting... on a back

ellisppi
Sep-01-2008, 5:04pm
and the peghead

ellisppi
Sep-01-2008, 5:05pm
and the back being carved

Chris Biorkman
Sep-01-2008, 5:13pm
Nice, Tom. I assume this one is already spoken for.

pjlama
Sep-01-2008, 9:04pm
I dig the headstock design and the Art Deco inlay. Looks like a one piece back! I much prefer the look of a one piece back, cleaner. I better start selling off a few things to make room, I'm really excited about getting one of these soon http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sgarrity
Sep-01-2008, 9:41pm
That is gonna look awesome!!

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:13pm
I leave for IBMA 3 weeks from today so I better get to varnishing, gonna prove Bill H right

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:15pm
I'm taking 3 A models

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:16pm
I hope

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:17pm
and work

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:19pm
and work

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:20pm
making progress

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:21pm
3rd one will have the deco shape peghead

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:23pm
1st one is ready for stain as will be the 2nd one tomorrow

ellisppi
Sep-08-2008, 3:25pm
I hope

sgarrity
Sep-08-2008, 3:32pm
Those are beautiful!! I really like the body shape of these. I'm glad my MAS is temproarily in remission. Hhmmm.....maybe I need to try and go to IBMA... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hans
Sep-08-2008, 5:33pm
Oh, you do, you do... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Chris Biorkman
Sep-08-2008, 9:15pm
Those are so nice. For some reason, A styles have really been appealing to me lately. Love the inlay and headstock shape. Anyone who is on the fence should definitely pull the trigger. You won't be sorry.

Glassweb
Sep-08-2008, 9:49pm
Great work Tom! I have no doubt you'll be glad you started this new line of A-models... should be an out-o'-the-ballpark success...

pjlama
Sep-08-2008, 9:56pm
Mmmm, I can hardly wait. But now I'm on the fence on the headstock shape. Tom, any chance you could do a side by side shot of the two different headstock shapes?

adgefan
Sep-09-2008, 4:19am
I thought I was going to IBMA to watch bands and jam but, judging by all the great builders who are going, it looks like I am going to be spending all my time at the instrument booths. I can't wait!

mandopluker
Sep-09-2008, 5:35am
...I was kinda hoping for a snake head in the mix http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif ...but that is just me and my traditional binge.

pjlama
Sep-10-2008, 10:46pm
...I was kinda hoping for a snake head in the mix http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif ...but that is just me and my traditional binge.

Dude, you need to walk on the wild side and get something really crazy like an explorer shape Randy Rhodes poka dot looking mando with a Floyd Rose. :))

ellisppi
Sep-24-2008, 3:22pm
Here is the first one finished, 2nd one tomorrow

Chris Biorkman
Sep-24-2008, 3:22pm
:Drool:

ellisppi
Sep-24-2008, 3:28pm
Heres some more, several people have played it, thumbs up so far.

ellisppi
Sep-24-2008, 3:30pm
I have another photo where this guy expresses his opinion, email me for that one

Skip Kelley
Sep-24-2008, 3:38pm
Man, that is one sweet A!!! I love the sunburst!!

mandolooter
Sep-24-2008, 3:44pm
I have another photo where this guy expresses his opinion, email me for that one

How many fingers is he using?

pjlama
Sep-24-2008, 10:47pm
Wow, I'm looking forward to getting one and hearing that incredible Ellis sound again.

Bill Auld
Sep-25-2008, 6:25am
Tom - absolutely beautiful work - that back is unbelievable. I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks!

sgarrity
Sep-25-2008, 8:47am
Mighty fine, mighty fine!! I have a feeling that you'll wind up selling a few of those. ;-)

Carleton Page
Sep-25-2008, 9:58am
Wow right up there on my shortlist of ultimate A's. The finish work is jawdropping! The top kind of has a violin vibe I really like and the back is just amazing. Is a bound finger rest an option? I think it might look good.

Tracy Ballinger
Sep-25-2008, 10:21am
Mmmm, I can hardly wait. But now I'm on the fence on the headstock shape. Tom, any chance you could do a side by side shot of the two different headstock shapes?[/QUOTE]

Here PJ

sgarrity
Sep-25-2008, 10:37am
I like the Art Deco shape myself. But they both look classy.

Jamie MacLaggan
Sep-25-2008, 10:37am

Here is my Ellis 2-point, June 1981, #25. Perhaps the only one?!

pjlama
Sep-25-2008, 11:14am
Thanks for the side by side.

Goodin
Sep-25-2008, 12:42pm
Hey Tom - Would you consider building an oval hole anytime soon? Wow those mandos are just magnificient. I really like the art deco flavor...nice subtle touch...very well done!

Goodin
Sep-25-2008, 12:46pm
Ps thanks for the pics on the two point. The first pre-2000's Ellis I have seen.

fiddlersgreen
Sep-25-2008, 5:08pm
I had the extreme pleasure of getting to play Tom Ellis' new A model yesterday. Hands down it is the best A model I have ever played! I wanted to buy it on the spot but it was already spoken for. The pictures Tom posted are great but couldn't possibly do justice to the real visual impression. The top is a stunning shade of warm brown (it looks a little red in the pictures) and the flamed maple is very deep and 3-dimensional. It had a HUGE sound that would beat the pants off any A model and probably most F models. Just my two cents. The folks at the IBMA show are in for a real treat!

Capt. E
Sep-25-2008, 5:14pm
Your Ellis looks wonderful. Should I tell you about the Altman two point for sale at Fiddlers Green? Plays very well, and more than 3 grand less than an F model. I would have bought it instead of the Weber Bighorn if I'd had the money. An Ellis two point would be sweet as well.

Cheryl Watson
Sep-25-2008, 5:24pm
Considering that out of one batch, a few mandolins might sound a bit better than others, even from the best shops/luthiers but other than that, aren't A's and F's supposed to sound equally good if built with similar specs/
technique/voicing save the scroll and points?

I suspect that these Ellis As will be very bit as great as the Ellis F5s. I sure would love to play one.

Twang

Capt. E
Sep-26-2008, 8:57am
I understand there are always some differences between A's and F's such as the normal two glue blocks in an A and four in an F. This supposedly changes the volume and tone. I understand two points have four blocks like an F, just missing the scroll. Maybe a two point should sound closer to an F than a regular tear-drop shaped A. Of course, they are all mandolins and will sound like mandolins, but there are so many other factors affecting sound quality: bridge, strings, nut, action height, number of glue blocks, type of bracing (tone bars or x braced), thickness and shape of the braces, shape of holes, wood used in top, wood used in body, shape and thickness of top, finish (laquer or varnish), etc. Master builders must perfectly balance all of these and more to produce the superb instruments they build. The sound is the final evidence of the differences.

Chris Biorkman
Sep-26-2008, 9:19am
I think a good A can be every bit the equal of a good F. These things are beautiful and if I were in the market, I would snap one up without thinking twice.

RSomers
Sep-26-2008, 2:21pm
Awesome Tom! plain and simple. If this is what MAS is about, I got it.

ellisppi
Sep-30-2008, 11:12am
Done, I'm getting too old for this

ellisppi
Sep-30-2008, 11:25am
there's pics somewhere

ellisppi
Sep-30-2008, 11:27am
and here's 2 of the 3 F's I'm taking

Goodin
Sep-30-2008, 11:46am
Magnificent!

Bill Auld
Sep-30-2008, 12:00pm
Absolutely beautiful! Truly stunning! But, Tom, you need to stop now ... I'm not sure how many more photos I can take without getting into serious trouble @ home! :grin:

Chris Biorkman
Sep-30-2008, 2:01pm
Wow!

Carleton Page
Oct-05-2008, 1:07pm
Any body play the Ellis A's at IBMA? These pics are blowing my mind! That torch and wire inlay on that F is beyond comprehension!

red7flag
Oct-05-2008, 1:59pm
I played both of the F models at IBMA. Mighty fine.

Ken Olmstead
Oct-05-2008, 3:03pm
I love the "Potted Fern!" They are all stunning pieces of art. I love the "Deco" inlays on the A's as well. Fletcher Brock started doing something similar a couple of years ago. Very cool!

Glassweb
Oct-05-2008, 3:13pm
OUCH! Great work Tom... I've gotta play one of your instruments one of these days...

Big Joe
Oct-06-2008, 8:37pm
The A models sounded as great as Tom's F models. I was really blown away with the tone of the A and it was as clean as any of his mandolins. Tom has it down to near perfection with the fit and finish.

Tony Sz
Oct-07-2008, 9:07am
I played Tom's A model, as well as the F models that he had, and the F model at Elderly, and the one at Gruhn's, and in a blind comparison, I don't think you could pick out the A from the F's. I found tremendous consistency in sound throughout, not to mention flawless workmanship.