PDA

View Full Version : K&k mandolin twin

mcgannahanskjellifetti
Aug-07-2008, 5:11pm
I'd like to get away from using a microphone at church for my Kentucky KM172. How is the K&K Mandolin Twin? I used to have a K&K in my old Martin and loved the natural sound. I see the MT is a little different, sitting on top of the instrument. I like the idea of not having to install something.

Michael Lewis
Aug-08-2008, 12:49am
You can put the two elements just inside the "f' holes near the ends of the bridge and install the jack in the end pin hole. This is a fairly simple installation and seems to work pretty well. This way the entire pick up is out of sight and not in the way and not likely to be hit or damaged. It would be even easier to install on an oval hole model.

One of my customers has this type of installation and is happy with it. He had feed back problems with several other pickups.

Joe Mendel
Aug-08-2008, 7:22am
I've installed them internally in two mandolins, both customers are very happy with them. I agree with Michael, inside is much better, visually and for the pick-up, and there's no danger to the finish.

jackybaby72
Aug-18-2008, 6:26am
I am using the mandolin twin on my mandolin (Epi MM-30) with decent results. #You get a pretty hot signal = no "need" for preamp. #It is accurate in sound, except with mine I get a sort of metallic quality on the E & A strings. #I added the UltraSound DI Plus and now it sounds fantastic, much better than a $150 mando should!

I'd say go for it with a few recommendations
1) If you can, install it internally. #Externally, it can present some odd situations. #If you touck the pickup itself or the cable connecting it to the jack you will get a lot of noise (deep thud or rubbing noise). #Also, the double sided tape that holds on the "velcro" is not the strongest. #Mine started separating after about three days- I switched to an industrial style of double sided tape and have had no problems!

2) The adhesive to attach the pickup to the top should cover the entire element- you'll get better response that way.

3) Be prepared to buy a tone shaping device. #As I said, I use the UltraSound DI Plus with excellent results. Preamp, tone shaping, and DI in one box. #The impedance matches with the K&K stuff, so no issues there.

I hope I haven't swayed you from the K&K. #They are the best acoustic instrument pickups I have ever heard. #I am about to have a Pure Western installed on one of my acoustics. #IMHO, the positives of the K&K far outweigh the negatives I have listed here (if you call them negatives!).

Crowder
Aug-18-2008, 6:35am
I'm another satisfied customer (internal install). FWIW I started out with an Ultrasound DI Plus preamp, but later went with a K&K Pure and find the tone to be more natural and less compressed, and I have more control over the key frequencies. YMMV.