PDA

View Full Version : Collings MT

Jeff Baldwin
Jul-03-2004, 9:15pm
As anyone put a neck heel strap button on a Collings MT?
I've got one....amazing little beast....and I want to
attach the strap at the heel of the neck. An email to
Collings returned a response that they don't recomment
it..and suggest tying the strap to the peg head. I don't
like the balance...at all. While I know the recommend
no heel button, perhaps its because they don't want
responsibility for badly mounted buttons. They detail on their website how to put a strap button on a quitar.

What is the neck joint of the MT ...dovetail? or bolton...

Any help or experiences would be helpful...
Thanks

Jeff

jcs271
Jul-04-2004, 8:32am
The neck is a dovetail,,,,NO BOLTS!

250sc
Jul-06-2004, 6:42am
When I got my at Elderly the put a button on it while I waited for it.

No problems.

rixter
Jul-07-2004, 11:56pm
Doesn't it have an elevated fingerboard like the MT2? I think it works fine to run the strap cord under the neck and fingerboard and it rides something like the strap on a scroll model without having to drill holes or anything.

Bradley
Jul-08-2004, 5:54am
I had one put on my Collings....The trick is that the truss rod comes down and makes a right angle into the heel,making it very easy to hit with the screw.

sonnyjammer
Jul-09-2004, 12:59pm
Don't do it, I use a leather shoelace and run it under the fretboard as suggested above. Works fine for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

terzinator
Nov-03-2009, 11:01pm
I know this is a five-year-old thread, but any new thinking on this?

Possible MT incoming, and was just noticing the old strap-button dilemma kicking around in the brain area.

250sc
Nov-04-2009, 7:20am
The only 2 choices I'd consider are 1. strap tied under the fingerboard (no modifications to mando) or 2. Strap button (drill a small hole in heal of neck). I've never liked straps tied to the peghead.

Rob Gerety
Nov-04-2009, 12:57pm
I much prefer my strap attached to the peg head. Go figure.

rainy512day
Nov-04-2009, 1:29pm
I got my MT used and it came with a neck heel strap button. I tried using it for awhile but the MT didn't feel balanced. I switched to attaching the strap to the peghead.

Barry Platnick
Nov-05-2009, 8:50am
Doesn't it have an elevated fingerboard like the MT2? I think it works fine to run the strap cord under the neck and fingerboard and it rides something like the strap on a scroll model without having to drill holes or anything.

This is the best way

Chunky But Funky
Nov-05-2009, 10:11am
I just posted the reply in the "A" style strap button thread, so I thought I would copy it here:

I wrap a Planet Waves acoustic quick release (http://store.daddario.com/category/152500?language_id=1&currency_id=1) around the heel and under the elevated fretboard of my Collings. I just got the two pictured in this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56313) thread, but I used it successfully on my MT's for a few years. No modification to the mando and the same balance point as installing a strap button. You can see half of the quick release in the pictures on both mandos.

Doug

LaVonne
Nov-09-2009, 2:30pm
I have strap buttons on the treble side of the heal on my MT2 and MT-Oval.

Terry W. Harvey
Nov-13-2009, 7:46pm
I also used a heavy leather bootlace from our local western/tack shop. Hitch-looped it through a new Dudette braided strap and then attached it under the fingerboard extension. Works great, balanced enough for me and looks great.

:mandosmiley:

blindboy
Nov-13-2009, 9:10pm
Sit down and play :)

Mace
Nov-14-2009, 6:06am
For a mandolin long gone I had a F style dude strap made with an extra long loop end by calculating the size by measuring what I needed to get over the headstock,down the neck and stretched to fit under the fretboard. A great one piece look and as I recall no extra cost. Just a thought. I wish I had one for my Weber Bitterroot. I have what I believe to be a long hollow softie that has ties that allow me to tie it under the fretboard. Not bad but the dude was a more custom look.