PDA

View Full Version : humistat

mcmando
Feb-05-2004, 3:57pm
Has anyone tried a humidifying device called Humistat? I'm wondering if they work well-- ie: produce the desired conditions in the case, don't leak/drip, etc. The price seems reasonable.

http://www.humistat.com/

Also, I assume these go in the case as opposed to some of the soundhole devices but I don't see velcro or some other mounting method. I'm wondering if one might just drop it into the storage compartment of the case or if the closed compartment might prevent it from keeping the case at the proper humidity-- any thoughts?

mcmando
Feb-05-2004, 4:00pm
Oh, I forgot to mention, I do know about the DIY film canister method. My hope is to find a device that doen't need to be refilled/wetted so often. I'm thinking the humistat might fit the bill as it looks like it'd hold a lot more water than a damp sponge does.

mandroid
Feb-06-2004, 7:17pm
My thought: gasket sealing case opening is a consideration, as humidifier/hygrometer (guage of how much) would work best to control range of humidity if it isnt drawing from the surrounding atmosphere .
Look at museum display cases the guage in the corner is the hygrometer, and someone is going around and taking readings and keeping data log.
the tube with holes in it for violins is the more common thing used.
I live by the ocean, so dry is not my problem, corrosion is.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

John Flynn
Feb-06-2004, 7:32pm
I thought about buying one of those, they look like a good idea and reasonably priced. I have tried all the overpriced products they sell to guitarists and been disappointed. Finally, I just got a plastic soap case, like you would carry a bar of soap in if you were camping, trimmed a cheap sponge down to fit it and drilled about 20 holes in the top of the case. It works great. It holds a lot of water, stays wet for a long, long time and keeps the case fairly humidified, according to my digital hygrometer. I have less than two bucks and fifteen minutes invested in it. It's the same idea as the film can, but with much more capacity.

Eric F.
Feb-07-2004, 12:24am
I got something called Mr. Misty from Walgreens. It attaches to the shower pipe, behind the shower head, and puts out a fine spray 24-7. The room where we keep the instruments now stays between 45 percent and 55 percent humidity all the time. I haven't had any problems, the air feels good, there's no humidifier to mess with and nothing in the cases.

Scott Tichenor
Apr-10-2004, 8:13am
I was contacted by the owner of Humistat yesterday. Seems like a real nice man and was asking permission to join to board and asking questions about it, etc. Possibly we'll see him out here. Other than that I don't know a thing about the product so maybe he can shed some light on it.

Scotti Adams
Apr-10-2004, 8:28am
..I got one recently..great product...it keeps my case at a comfy 45%-50%...the ideal level...no hassle installation too....recommended..

Mike Buesseler
Apr-10-2004, 8:31am
I like this Mr. Mistly idea--if it works on the whole house. I've always disliked the humidifying devices that hang on your instrument or go in a case. Sooner or later you are going to forget, and that means sudden changes, which to me are worse than being a little to dry all the time.

Lane Pryce
Apr-10-2004, 9:04am
Regarding the Humistat; I have always had them in my fiddle cases and they work great. A vacum formes when the top is pushed in the humistst; no leaks as of yet. Just my two. Lp

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 3:30pm
..ok..now that Ive used this thing for a few weeks I have noticed a slight corrosion on my A and E strings...have any of you had this problem....??

Lane Pryce
Apr-14-2004, 4:04pm
Scotti close the slide on the humistat to lower the humidity in your case. I have been told that using distiled H2O will greatly diminish any mineral deposits r/t excessive humudity. Makes sense. # Lp

mcmando
Apr-14-2004, 4:12pm
I've now been using them in my cases for close to a couple months with good results. Just after my intial post, I took the plunge and ordered one to try-- at $12.10, it's a pretty low risk plunge! I liked it enough that I then ordered one for each of my cases.

Coy Wylie
Apr-14-2004, 4:16pm
I ordered a set too, should arrive any day now.

Peakbagr
Apr-14-2004, 4:18pm
Does anyone know about the little containers the size of film cannisters? They have a substance in them that looks like clay, but is very porous. You put in water and it gives off moisture gradually. In dry climates, they work in reverse by absorbing moisture. A friend showed me the one's in her case. She bought them from Elderly, but when I ent to the Elderly website and looked at humidifiers, they were'nt there.

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 6:50pm
..thanks JLP...the distilled water makes sense...my case stays at 45% with the vial dial wide open..I think I will leave it that way and try the distilled H20...btw Peak..I believe the "stuff" you are speaking of is called sea foam ....its the stuff that you see in flower arrangements....hope this helps....

Mike Buesseler
Apr-14-2004, 8:26pm
Distilled water is probably a good idea for the life of the Humistat, but it's not likely to have any effect on your string corrosion, Scotti. #That is most likely from condensation, which IS distilled, in a sense. #It carries no minerals. #What you are getting is more like rust. #I'd think lowering the humidity slightly will help. #

Also Peakbgr, didn't you mean that the device absorbs moisture in WET climates, not dry ones? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 8:32pm
..thanks Mike...Im gonna try that too..

BenE
Apr-15-2004, 2:37pm
How often are you guying having to fill your Humistat?

Scotti Adams
Apr-15-2004, 5:04pm
I havent had to fill it yet..its been about a month now....the water level has went down..but still plenty of water to do the job...

ira
Apr-15-2004, 9:15pm
please forgive my ignorance.

does one need a humidifying device regardless of instrument or location in one's house, or general region of the country (i am in mass. in which humidity is not an issue)?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

thanks- no problem buying this thing, but do i need it?

Lane Pryce
Apr-16-2004, 7:37am
Ira I have one in each of my fiddle cases. I am in NC and the only time I have used mine was two years ago during the drought. Humidity in my cases went from around 20% to about 45%. I had no problems with rust or deposits. Lp

HUMISTAT
Apr-29-2004, 9:40am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Hi to everyone!
My name is David (Berliner) and -- for full disclosure -- my firm is the #HUMISTAT® Company. Over the past few months, I have been delighted to hear from a number of you who have tried our humidifiers and recommended them to friends and colleagues both offline and in Mandolin Cafe's Message Board discussions.

I've noticed that, from time to time, questions about humidification and/or HUMISTAT® Company products have been posted (and, sometimes, answered) by Board members.

I'd like to invite you to send any questions you have to me personally (whether or not you post the question on the Board) at dcberliner@humistat.com.

Allow me to share with you why#HUMISTAT® Company products have been so popular with professionals, non-professionals, and students for so many years and why we have developed such a loyal corps of repeat customers. Our products are:

* Unique, with a patented mechanism
* Fully and easily ADJUSTABLE
* NEVER touch your instrument (much less are inserted inside them)
* Easy to fill using tap or, if you prefer, distilled water
* Clear, so you can see when a re-fill is needed
* Compact; no bulky or involved tubes or containers
* Priced very affordably. They're a small investment to protect your big investment -- your mandolin(s).

Thanks once again to those of you who have used and recommended our products, and we invite everyone to visit our Web site.

A special thanks to Scott, who runs this terrific site.