PDA

View Full Version : Lucetta by flyde

dulcillini
Aug-05-2008, 8:24pm
Good Evening:

I was looking at the Flyde site and saw the Lucetta mandolin. Looks great. Does anyone know anything about this model? Any information would be appreciated.

PseudoCelt
Aug-07-2008, 12:06pm
The Lucetta's seem pretty rare. I have seen one at the Fylde workshop, when I was there buying a bouzouki, but I didn't get a chance to play it.

I have played several of the Touchstone mandolins. My impression of the spruce/rosewood "Signature" Touchstone is that it did not sound significantly better than the standard model to justify paying the extra money, though it looked good. A couple of the Touchstones I've seen had a cedar top, like the Lucetta. They were very nice instruments - a slightly mellower sound than the standard Touchstone, with a little more bass, but similar volume. A cedar/rosewood Touchstone might be a nice combination.

Most of the Touchstone mandolins I've tried were new instruments, so I'm unable to say how the different wood combinations might change with time/playing.

There is a Youtube video of Ian Anderson briefly playing what appears to be a Lucetta here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJAqGHuaJAY). The section with the mandolin starts about 2:40 from the start.

Patrick

Loz
Oct-09-2013, 1:59pm
I have a lucetta.

Jim Garber
Oct-09-2013, 3:01pm
It always helps to post a link or two. Here is the Lucetta page (http://www.fyldeguitars.com/lucetta.html) on Fylde's site. And here are some pics.

I am curious what these sound like. It looks like the neck join puts the bridge further back on the top than the Touchstone.

G7MOF
Feb-12-2015, 1:10pm
They used to do a carved top/back version of this, it's flat now unless it's a special order. (Although all Fylde instruments are special order.) I had one a long time ago!

G7MOF
Feb-12-2015, 4:16pm
I have a lucetta.

So do I. They're stunning!!!

trevor
Feb-13-2015, 3:53am
I tried one a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with the tone.

G7MOF
Feb-13-2015, 5:30am
They do tend to be very mellow, which I like!

G7MOF
Feb-13-2015, 2:05pm
I tried one a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with the tone.

Was it the carved top/back or the flat one Roger makes now?

Ray(T)
Feb-14-2015, 5:18am
"...very mellow..." I can think of other descriptions but some may sound worse than others.

trevor
Feb-14-2015, 5:30am
Mellow to me means quiet and with not much depth of tone. That fits the one I played. Each to their own, and I expect they all sound different.

I can't remember whether the one I played was carved or flat.

G7MOF
Feb-15-2015, 5:45am
Good comment Trevor. Most mandolinists play at home and that's why I like the mellow tone rather than a sharp/crisp sound being blasted out sometimes uncontrollably.
As you said, each to his own!

Pasha Alden
Feb-15-2015, 9:57am
I enjoy the acoustic tone, sweeter not quite so loud. However, I have found there are times when loud assists. Though I must say I am all for the softer acoustic sound.

Ray(T)
Feb-15-2015, 12:52pm
Personally, I've never found a Fylde mandolin/mandola/octave that I could live with. My '24 Snakehead has a beautiful soft acoustic tone and is great for playing at home but, in a session, I need to play it hard and it loses much of its character. That's when I turn to my Kimble A5. The harder I play it, the better it sounds. I bet the "bescrolled" version Trevor currently has in stock is every bit as good, if not better.

RichardF
Feb-15-2015, 1:37pm
I have a Fylde Octavius mandolin that was my only acoustic for 29 years, it's now 32 years old and I still love the mellow sound. It has great sustain whether acoustically or plugged in using the Ashworth under saddle pick up. (See how old it is now!) I played everything on it, especially Celtic and Church "sub rock pop" music and loved it, though some on the forum might say I knew no better. I must admit I use a solid bodied electric for night band gigs; it's much easier when playing electric 10 string mandocello too. I now use a Breedlove OF for acoustic gigs, the punch is unbeatable but the sustain is not the same. The Fylde is still my "go to" at home.

allenhopkins
Feb-15-2015, 1:43pm
...I still love the mellow sound....plugged in using the Ashworth under saddle pick up...

Hmm... I love the soft, mellow acoustic sound -- especially when I can amplify it so it's loud...?

Now I'm confused.

RichardF
Feb-15-2015, 2:03pm
Don't be confused. When the Fylde was the only mandolin I had, it had to cover all the bases, and it did. The Ashworth under saddle into the old Trace Elliot TA100 reproduced a fair approximation of the old Fylde's acoustic sound; mellow with a reasonable sustain. An unamplified Fylde Octavius could never cut it against more than one guitar, even in a small room. To go back to the OP, I must admit I lusted after the Lucetta, when I first saw it in 1982 I think, but even for a 21st birthday present the price was way too high. That's when I got the Octavius, so it's a special relationship that we have.

Loz
Apr-09-2021, 11:59am
I have a 1979 Lucetta. I’m thinking of selling it.
Cheers. Loz