PDA

View Full Version : Lyon & healy woods

twaaang
Jul-30-2008, 5:05pm
Would anyone have an opinion as to what specific woods were used for an L&H Style B, circa 1919? I'm beginning to think about replicating the tone in a newer instrument with a different fretboard shape. Thanks for your thoughts. -- Paul

allenhopkins
Jul-30-2008, 9:25pm
Here's a link to the FRETS.com museum display of an L & H Style B. Looking at the pix, I'd say maple B&S, but I'm no expert.

Lyon & Healy Style B (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/LyonHealy/LHB/lhb.html)

man dough nollij
Jul-30-2008, 9:27pm
Looks like maple to me, too:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Museum/Mandolin/LyonHealy/LHB/LHBViews/lhb07.jpg

twaaang
Jul-31-2008, 7:33am
Right, but where I get lost is the kind of maple -- Eastern, big-leaf, and various European types; likewise I have no eye for the different specific kinds of spruce used in tops. Thanks for your help so far, and sorry my question wasn't clearer. -- Paul

thunderfingers
Jul-31-2008, 7:42am
The two point washburn I have has rose wood back and sides with a spruce top, This was made around 1920s.

Spruce
Jul-31-2008, 9:50am
"Right, but where I get lost is the kind of maple -- Eastern, big-leaf, and various European types; likewise I have no eye for the different specific kinds of spruce used in tops. "

That FRETS.com L & H Style B sports a 2-piece hard Eastern maple back (note the birdseyes) cut on the slab, some eastern curly maple sides, and a non-Sitka spruce top, probably European in origin...

delsbrother
Jul-31-2008, 9:42pm
I've seen several pictures of L&H mandos with birdseye backs. How common was this? Were any Gibsons of the period made with birdseye, and if not any speculation why?

Spruce
Aug-01-2008, 9:29am
"I've seen several pictures of L&H mandos with birdseye backs. How common was this?"

You see it in various instruments throughout the years. #
Not quality fiddles so much, as it tends to be really heavy....

"Were any Gibsons of the period made with birdseye, and if not any speculation why?"

Good question...

I've never seen a Loar period instrument or an F4 with birdseye maple, even though they were using Sugar (Hard) maple for a lot of those instruments....

I think that there are examples of Gibbys with birdseye during the 30's-50's, but I can't think of anything right off-hand....