PDA

View Full Version : Some nice stuff

John L
Jul-29-2008, 9:04pm
A great store in Guelph, Ontario has some really interesting pieces right now - www.folkwaymusic.com

They have a Grit Laskin citern, a Kalamazoo mandola, a 1924 Gibson lute, and an old Fender electric mandolin. Like I said, some very cool stuff.

mrmando
Jul-30-2008, 1:02am
Interesting -- the Fender electric is a blond '57 but it has a tortoiseshell plastic pickguard. Should have an anodized aluminum pickguard, shouldn't it?

John L
Jul-30-2008, 11:37am
Interesting -- the Fender electric is a blond '57 but it has a tortoiseshell plastic pickguard. Should have an anodized aluminum pickguard, shouldn't it?
Not sure, I'm not an emando expert. The notes at www.emando.com say the Fenders came with an anodized aluminum pickguard for the first "year or so" of production, which began in 1956. If it's repro it would have to be perfect to fool Folkway.

The citern is cool, and I doubt the photo does justice to the inlay work. Grit Laskin does some stunning inlay work and his instruments typically sound amazing too. One of the best guitar builders in the world.

I am going to have to visit the store, which is about 60 miles away. Not sure I can justify buying that lute, but would like to take it for a test drive!

mrmando
Jul-30-2008, 12:13pm
There's another 7/57 Mandocaster on eBay right now; that one has the aluminum guard. I'm not saying the guard is "repro" -- it looks like Fender stock -- but I am suggesting that it may not be the original pickguard.

stratman62
Jul-30-2008, 12:36pm
There's another 7/57 Mandocaster on eBay right now; that one has the aluminum guard. I'm not saying the guard is "repro" -- it looks like Fender stock -- but I am suggesting that it may not be the original pickguard.

According to Mr. Gruhn tortiseshell pickguard and rosewood fingerboard and original contour body peghead decal late 1959

blacksmith
Jul-30-2008, 12:53pm
Ah yes, Folkways, know it well. Bought my Absaroka and my reso guitar there. Great place, great people.