PDA

View Full Version : Catching both strings

Larryo
Jul-29-2008, 4:53pm
Hi, Hoping someone can help here. I am back playing after many years away due to RSI problems and where I played mostly tenor banjo. I am back playing mandolin now and am taking it very easy.I notice however that I have a tendency to mimic how I picked strings on the banjo i.e. just catch the string with the pick which is now causing me to hit one of the pair of mandolin strings on the down(the top one) and the other of the pair on the way up(bottom one).It is obviously a fuller sound if I can catch both on the down and up pick.Are there exercises other than scales than can help with this? And do most people catch both strings when playing at speed?As I say, coming from the tenor banjo, this was not an issue and like as discussed in another thread, I am more interested in getting technique right now, having done all the damage I could and having played all the sessions I wanted !Thanks

Dan Krhla
Jul-29-2008, 7:58pm
I have no worthwhile advice but wanted to say "welcome back"!

man dough nollij
Jul-29-2008, 9:24pm
I'm a noob, but it seems to me that you might be playing too fast right off the bat.

You might try picking "deep" enough to grab both strings playing slowly, then gradually increasing speed to where you start to do the banjo thing, and breaking yourself of the habit.

Just a thought.

Jim Broyles
Jul-29-2008, 9:43pm
You have to either pull your hand up or pick from the back of the string out in order to miss the bottom string on a down stroke. I can't make myself miss the bottom string unless I consciously try. If you keep your hand close to the strings - don't pull it up after you hit the string - and follow through, you will hit both strings. It also helps to use a fairly stiff pick - pick flex will contribute to missing the second string because it hasn't rebounded yet and your hand is past the strings.

Celtic Saguaro
Jul-29-2008, 9:44pm
Yep, at full speed you should be hitting both strings. Basically, you just move the pick across the strings rather than trying to pluck them. A flat stroke works better than a swinging stroke. Playing double stops in one motion should help you get the right technique without thinking about it.

bgjunkie
Jul-30-2008, 1:40pm
There are a couple video lessons with Peter Ostroushko
on Mandolinsessions.com where Peter shows a good exercise that should help.

http://www.mandolinsessions.com/apr08/Keyes.html