PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry blossom

Sweetpea44
Jul-29-2008, 4:46pm
I've been trying to pick my way through Blackberry Blossom and I have a general question about hand placement. There's a portion of the song that has you playing the 3rd, 5th, and 7th frets on the E string one after the other, and then going back to the 3rd fret. Should I be trying to stretch my pinky up to the 7th fret (I'm a small girl with small hands!), or should I shift my hand up the neck and use my first three fingers and not the pinky, and then shift back down to get back to the 3rd fret? What do other players do? I'm a beginner, so I don't want to get into a bad habit when practicing if you all recommend something. Thanks! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Brandon Flynn
Jul-29-2008, 4:55pm
If you can't reach with your pinky, you can't reach. The pinky is generally used for the seventh fret, but if you absolutely cannot reach, you'll have to shift. And you can get by not using the pinky for the seventh fret on the top three strings, using open strings instead, but it will limit you down the road playing up the neck.

wadeyankey
Jul-29-2008, 4:58pm
Personally, I would try to use my pinky. Not only does it then allow you to play the whole tune without a position shift, but it's a good workout. I would try to also use the pinky in the B section the E to E octave part(2nd fret D string followed by 7th fret A string), rather than using the open E string. That being said, you always need to do what works best. If you're hands are too small, do whatever works for you. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Bruce Clausen
Jul-29-2008, 5:08pm
I agree with the good advice offered above. #Play the piece so it works for you, but work on basic technique until the stretch is no problem. #I studied classical guitar with a quite diminutive female guitarist whose fingers are about half the length of mine. #She can reach anything on the neck I can, and then some. #Reach problems usually come not from small hands but from holding the instrument in a way that limits your ability to really open up your hand. #So a little experimentation with posture and position can help a lot. #

BC

Sweetpea44
Jul-29-2008, 5:13pm
Thanks for the reponses! I just didn't want to get into a bad habit. I'm definitely going to try the pinky again. Thanks! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Brandon Flynn
Jul-29-2008, 5:21pm
Here (http://www.tothestage.com/MediaDetail.Page?MediaId=352) is a link to a video on technique by Mike Marshall that I always through the link up for beginners. Very helpful, quick, and free. Just to help with your left hand position and angle to help your reach.

camsheeps
Jul-29-2008, 8:31pm
The pinky can be very frustrating to use; it took me years to be able to use it effectively. However, it is very important that you learn how to use, so if you are physically able to stretch up the fretboard that far, this is a perfect opportunity to practice.

John Ritchhart
Jul-29-2008, 8:36pm
Use all of 'em.