PDA

View Full Version : Pick slippage

codemando
Jul-23-2008, 7:39pm
I have a tortoise shell pick that i really like, but when playing a gig, especially if it's warm, i find the pick sometimes slips between my fingers to a position that compromises my playing, and at times i have to actually stop for a second and reposition the pick to keep from dropping it. this rarely happens with my wegen picks, probably because of the holes in them. anyone out there who has some tried and true methods to combat pick slippage? should i try, carefully, to drill holes in my tortoise shell pick?

Barb Friedland
Jul-23-2008, 7:45pm
I have had good luck with Gorilla Snot (really- that's what it's called). I tried an alternative brand but don't like it as well. I put just a little bit on my thumb and when I grab onto my pick it sticks in place quite nicely.

mandroid
Jul-23-2008, 8:34pm
Slipperiness from Oils exuded from my skin are my main issue,
I combine hand and pick washing with my visit to the W.C.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-23-2008, 9:30pm
I wouldn't drill a hole in a tortoise shell pick. I'd try a little Gorilla snot as well. Check out this thread for several suggestions (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=25;t=54206;hl=gorilla).

man dough nollij
Jul-23-2008, 9:57pm
Just be very, very careful. You must make sure the gorilla is fast asleep before you collect the pick adhesive. DAMHIK. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

codemando
Jul-23-2008, 10:17pm
mike and mandogal,

thanks for the tip on the gorilla snot. can't say i love the name, especially since it was apparantly first formulated to put in your hair (as a gel). i'll give it a try.

jnation
Jul-24-2008, 12:07am
I put drops of superglue on both sides of my picks,let dry and this provides a grip surface. Works well for me.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-24-2008, 1:11am
I had trouble with holding a pick when i first started. I found that a tiny piece of Blu-Tak
flattened out on the thumb side gave me all the grip i needed. I don't use anything these days.I have found that some picks can rotate slightly between finger & thumb but i think that's down to me not gripping it correctly in the first place,
Saska

billkilpatrick
Jul-24-2008, 3:05am
a piece of advice i picked up here earlier was to simply lick your thumb and forefinger before you grab the pick.

be it gorilla mucus or your own saliva - the residual essence of one animal or another will do the trick.

Tim2723
Jul-24-2008, 10:12am
I just do the finger lick trick too. I don't think my picks are slippery, but my skin is too dry.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-25-2008, 4:04am
Here's what the man himself did - YouTube clip,
Saska
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVoLAvrexoA

Hope it works !.

Timbofood
Jul-25-2008, 7:55am
A friend of mine uses "Stick-um" its used for candles, she gets it at the hardware store. Never tried it but, as time goes on I am finding that I may want to. I am not fond of the "pick search" on stage.

8ch(pl)
Jul-25-2008, 9:06am
Double sided tape applied to 240 grit sandpaper, cut out a disk with a 1/2 inch textile punch and stick on the pick.

Jude Reinhardt
Jul-25-2008, 11:02pm
Keene Take Hold, Fingertip Grip. Helps sort, count, collate-Non Toxic.

This is the stuff you see at every tellers window at the bank. A pink jell that you touch your fingers to, to help turn pages, count money, etc. Buy it at Wal-Mart or any office supply store. 1 3/4 oz. container for three or four bucks. I've been using mine for three years and still have about 75% of it left. It lasts a long time and doesn't dry out in the container.

Jude

Salty Dog
Jul-25-2008, 11:33pm
I have the same problem and put "peel and stick" sandpaper ovals sold by Paige (the same ones who make capos) on my picks. They work very well. Work your way into these as, if you overdo it when your thumb is still tender they will remove the skin.

x_purposes
Aug-10-2008, 8:20pm
I use a glue stick....like you would use in a hot glue gun. Warm the tip of the glue stick in your hand and the rub it on both sides of the pick. It is good for about 30 minutes.
Eastman 815

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-11-2008, 3:05am
A friend of mine keeps a piece of Violin bow resin in a small tin.If his pick starts to slip he just rubs his thumb & finger on the resin & that stops it slipping/turning ok,
Saska

Brian Aldridge
Aug-11-2008, 5:50am
I am pretty surprised that none of you resident experts told the guy that the right way to keep a good grip on a tortise shell pick is to keep it buffed to a high gloss. This is the same principle as slicks (tires) on a race car. How you buff the pick is to use one of those padded sticks that (mostly) women use to make their fingernails smooth and shiny. The instant I feel my pick getting hard to hold onto, I buff it out and then it sticks to your thumb and finger like magic. I am shocked that no one here knew this. Where is Alan Neiderland? He must be laying down on the job.

Hoovetone
Aug-11-2008, 8:45am
I realize some people's chemistry could be different, but the slicker the better for me. Brian is 100% correct.
Buff that pick to a high gloss. Especially on tortoise and horn.Use the 3 or 4 step nail files.

Salty Dog
Aug-12-2008, 11:28pm
Thank you Brian for so elegantly putting the less knowledgeable pick experts in their place. #Since your expertise seems limited to what works for you, I hesitate to inform you that your method does not work for everybody, especially those of us who perspire profusely on hot summer days. #When we are wiping the sweat off our arms and mandolin between songs, we cannot help getting a little on our fingertips - that makes a polished pick very slippery indeed.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-13-2008, 12:56am
Not only buff a TS pick but I learned from fellow Cafer BTill that TS is like a bar of soap. The harder you squeeze the slipperier it gets. Hold it lightly and it works.

I use the Cool picks that have the sandpaper embedded in the sides. works great for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Bobbie Dier
Aug-13-2008, 1:30am
I use to do the violin rosin trick. Just reach over and wipe some of your fiddlers rosin from the fiddle. It is pretty sticky. Since I have switched to very thick picks like Golden Gate and Wegan they don't seem to slip any more.

Brian Aldridge
Aug-13-2008, 1:00pm
see what you get for trying to be helpful around here? No wonder no one dared give the right answer before me. Carry on!

Flowerpot
Aug-13-2008, 1:14pm
Brian is correct. A highly polished TS pick will grip really well, especially in the presence of moisture. I keep my TS pick polished to a high gloss, and if it gets slippery, you just lick your fingers a bit. The pick does not grip as well if it's sanded to a matte finish, it has to be polished until it's like a mirror, and needs a slight bit of moisture on it to work well. It may be counter-intuitive at first, but it works... why do you think surfers wax the top of the board to keep their wet feet from slipping? Try it. (A former Gorilla Snot user here, BTW.)