PDA

View Full Version : Care of black topped mandos

mandomurph
Jul-21-2008, 11:34pm
I love the look of a new black topped mando but am wondering if they require a lot of care to keep them looking good? Are they like a black car that shows every speck of dust?

Chris Biorkman
Jul-21-2008, 11:44pm
I had a blacktop Phoenix for about a year. It definitely showed fingerprints and smudges more than other finish colors, but I didn't find it that difficult to maintain. I should probably mention that I am pretty religious about wiping down my instruments before I put them back in their cases.

Tim2723
Jul-22-2008, 6:22am
I had a black guitar once. They do show fingerprints and such, but not really worse than any other color. Be extra carefull playing in the sun, as they get hot fast. I didn't have any problem, but I always imagined my guitar getting hot enough to melt the glue.

Hans
Jul-22-2008, 7:44am
Since varnish scratches more easily than lacquer, a varnished blacktop will show scratches...more care is required.

John Flynn
Jul-22-2008, 8:30am
What Hans said. The good side, and I am only being half cynical here, is that if you like the "distressed look" a la Andy Statman, a blacktop will show off distress quicker than any other not-intentionally-distressed finish, IMHO. But if you like the "pristine clean" look, I would be very careful, because they attract scrathes and dings like a white shirt attracts marinara sauce. Personally, I think they look great new but they are a pain in the long run. I would not get one again.

mandomurph
Jul-22-2008, 10:19am
Good feedback from all the above. Thanks.

PaulO
Jul-23-2008, 7:37pm
I've got a Carver blacktop and I would not part with it. It's got it's rubs here and there but it's a cool jewel.
Here's what it looked like new. Go for it, I love mine.

jim simpson
Jul-23-2008, 10:46pm
Nice looking Carver!
I've recently purchased a black top Collings. I previously owned a Kentucky KM1000 that was all black. I keep a cloth in the case to wipe when needed. I also like black top guitars (like old Gibsons, etc.)
Here a pic of the Collings with my Daley:

jim simpson
Jul-23-2008, 10:47pm
another shot:

mandognome
Jul-23-2008, 11:19pm
I like them! Especially the gibby loar-era snakes and the Tim O signature model. Just cool mandolins. Never owned one but I'd like to someday. Also once saw a cool flatiron F with a black top and bright red back/sides. I think a mandolin with a black top and red or burst back is like wearing a classy yet subdued suit--with an awesome and loud lining. It can be a source of inner cool that doesn't need to be flaunted. Maybe it's just me....:O