PDA

View Full Version : Banjo mandolin

DENNY7P
Jul-20-2008, 12:24pm
WHAT BRAND CAN YOU TELL

Ken Berner
Jul-20-2008, 1:46pm
It looks like it may have been manufactured in the U.K., but I cannot identify it for you.

Jim Garber
Jul-20-2008, 4:29pm
Ken is on the right track. There is a similar one right now on eBay australia (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110272433564).

Doug Edwards
Jul-20-2008, 6:39pm
The last time this came up, I think it was called a Windsor. #I've had one for a while, what's left of the tp says "made in England".

This one is a Windsor Pixie.

mandroid
Jul-20-2008, 7:24pm
Pot on the OP's example is a Lot different , but the same small head example of type,
so we may have narrowed the country of origin to UK.

Dave Harbst
Jul-20-2008, 7:46pm
I have one of these, too. It was left to me by my dad and I think I heard him say he got it sometime while he was in the Navy(early 1940's). Mine looks basically the same. It says "BRITISH MADE" on the headstock and "ENGLISH MAKE" on the tailpiece.

Dave Harbst
Jul-20-2008, 8:00pm
I tried to add a picture, but guess I did something wrong. I can email one if wanted.

kww
Jul-21-2008, 7:35am
It's clearly a zither banjo, so that puts about 99% odds on it being of UK origin. Windsor was the largest and best known manufacturer, but far from the only one. That tailpiece is different from any I have seen on pictures of a Windsor, and is probably your best clue for identifying the maker. I would wander over to www.zither-banjo.org (http://www.zither-banjo.org) and contact David Wade if you need a reliable identification. Is this an E-bay item, or something you actually have in your hands?

Dave Harbst
Jul-21-2008, 3:10pm
[QUOTE:kww Is this an E-bay item, or something you actually have in your hands? ]

I actually own it. Mine's tuned just like a mandolin. Scale length 13", nut width 1-1/4". Haven't played it at all since inheriting it over 4 yrs. ago, but remember how bright & loud it was when my dad played it. Actually, it was annoying, especially on treble side. It could possibly damage one's eardrums! Maybe some gut strings or a sponge packed under the head would make it safer for public use....ha,ha!

kww
Jul-21-2008, 3:49pm
Since it's yours, take a good set of pictures and send to zither-banjo.org. One of his readers will be able to ID it.

Dave Harbst
Jul-21-2008, 4:34pm
kww,
Will do, as soon as I can. If I get some good info, I'll post it. Thanks.