PDA

View Full Version : Teens a-4 -- #right price? no interest?

Bernie Daniel
Jul-20-2008, 7:57am
This mandolin is not in collector's condition but the buy it now price certainly seems reasonable to me. #Any comments on that? #The crack on the sound board seems to be properly fixed and the rest of the wear is the kind of distressing people pay money to have?

The bridge is not original -- the tuners are nice.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-A-4-Mandolin-Orig-Case-Handel-Tuners_W0QQitemZ260263372314QQihZ016QQcategor

yZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Teens Gibson A-4</a>

Bill Snyder
Jul-20-2008, 8:10am
I don't see a Buy It Now option listed.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-20-2008, 8:43am
You're right -- I thought there was earlier. My error.

I guess what got my attention initially was the comment "no reserve" -- meaning theoretically it could be had for $1850 -- which would be a good price.

TomTyrrell
Jul-20-2008, 9:14am
I looked at this one but I have decided not to bid due to what I think is some top sag in the area of that long crack. Essentially, I think it doesn't have the original bridge because the original bridge would not keep the G strings off the fretboard.

This is the sag I'm talking about. Notice the base of the bridge is much thicker on the bass side than the treble side and the shadow from the strings seems to indicate some downward slope on the top surface. Of course, this is only my opinion.
http://i4.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/fe/62/6a1b_3.JPG

Bernie Daniel
Jul-20-2008, 9:28am
I think you are probably right -- I wonder if the problem is not as simple as the transverse brace not being glued down on the base side?

Certainly you are right about a bit of sag - but it really looks pretty minimal at this point.

But something to consider surely. Good eye!

Geoff B
Jul-20-2008, 9:42am
A teens Gibson, I think, should have a fixed bridge, not an adjustable one. You can see the small post on the pickguard that should fit into a hole on the fixed bridge. The different thicknesses on this bridge (or what appears to be) may be a result from fitting it and biasing the treble side, not necessarily a sinking issue.

TomTyrrell
Jul-20-2008, 10:31am
It was established in the OP that the bridge is not original.

F5GRun
Jul-20-2008, 10:38am
Did A4s like this one always have the cut out of the pick guard for the bridge or is this a modification as well?

TomTyrrell
Jul-20-2008, 10:46am
Pickguard is proper. If you look at one of the other views you can see the pin that comes from the pickguard and would go through a hole on the original bridge.

jim simpson
Jul-20-2008, 11:46am
Here's an A-4 that listed recently on Craigslist in Pittsburgh for $950.00. I don't know if it has sold yet or not but it still comes up on a search.

jim simpson
Jul-20-2008, 11:47am
Whoops! I didn't attach the image - here'tis

mrmando
Jul-20-2008, 6:00pm
That black A4 is a fake listing that has been spread across half a dozen Craigslist sites. It's a copy of an eBay Australia ad from a couple of weeks ago ... it sold for about $2700 Australian IIRC.

bluegrassgm
Jul-20-2008, 11:19pm
I can vouch for that Blackface being a fake ad - it's the instrument I sold on eBay a few weeks ago and it is now owned by a guy in Sydney.

Chris