PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

steve V. johnson
Feb-05-2004, 1:43pm
From the Mandolin Cafe classified ads, For Sale:

"If you like the old clown puke picks this is a good way to have a lifetime supply!
I have acces to about 14 pre-dawg clown picks. ..."

Would someone please explain this to me?

Thanks,

stv

pathfinder
Feb-05-2004, 2:10pm
They're a tongue-in-cheek description, based on the unique colour patterns. Clowns dress in bright yellows, reds, oranges, blues, etc, and these picks come in the same colours, only all swirled together in no particular pattern.

It occurred to someone that the colour pattern must be similar to what a clown's uh...vomit must look like, and the comparison stuck! Pickers have a warped sense of humour, God love 'em!

Feb-05-2004, 2:43pm
yeah there clown barf pics.. The rarest of the Dawg breed

SteveH
Feb-05-2004, 2:57pm
I think this is a picture of a clown barf type pick (probably not THE clown barf pick) ...

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/351-C-H.htm

Flowerpot
Feb-05-2004, 3:24pm
Yea, I had one of those Dawg shape clown barf picks, actually still have it. It always sounded better than the regular Grisman Golden Gates; I think it was maybe harder plastic or something. They are great picks for sure.

AlanN
Feb-05-2004, 3:47pm
Yeah, the true barfs are good ones. I have a few Japanese-made picks and the plastic is brighter sounding than a GG, to my ears.

Coy Wylie
Feb-05-2004, 4:23pm
I've been experimenting with lots of picks lately. I always drill 3-4 holes in them to help me hang on in jam sessions. Some do make a brighter sound than others. The Golden Gates seem to slide over the strings more smoothly but give a more dull tone. The Fender heavy's as in the elderly link above give a bright sound, are less rigid but I don't like the traditional triangular shape as well. Right now I am alternatining between a ProPlec 1.5 and a Golden Gate mock tortiose. The PP is brightest sounding pick I have used. I'm thinking of griding off the sharp edges to give it more of a Dawg-style shape.

I've never tried a true clown barf. How do they compare?

Mike McCoy
Feb-05-2004, 7:43pm
I'd like to try a Dawg Clown Barf pick. Does anybody have one they'd care to sell me?

BenE
Feb-06-2004, 10:30am
I'd like to try a Dawg Clown Barf pick. Does anybody have one they'd care to sell me?

From the Mandolin Cafe classified ads, For Sale:

"If you like the old clown puke picks this is a good way to have a lifetime supply!
I have acces to about 14 pre-dawg clown picks. ..."

You might try the classifieds!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Coy Wylie
Feb-06-2004, 10:59am
They've been taken off the market it seems... the seller told me he found out they were not authentic.

Nolan
Feb-06-2004, 11:00am
Hey you guys, I was the one who had the add on the clown barf picks. I don't know much about them but I'd heard some buzz a few months back about them and when I found some I couldn't beleive it! My choice of picks seems to change day to day so I'm not a died-in-the-wool Dawg pick fan but I thought I could go buy them for someone else here on the cafe.
Lucky for me, I very nice gentleman here on the cafe asked me some key questions (and then sent me a photo of his original Clown barf dawg pick) and from this I found out I was looking at the Japanese imitation dawgs. So, $6.59 (what they were asking) was way to high of a price and I let everyone know that I had cancelled the add and wasn't getting the picks. I kinda felt like Ted Wigglesworth! Luckily no money changed hands.
Just so everyone knows, it's not a true "Dawg Clown Barf" pick unless it has David Grisman's signature in gold across it. The ones I was looking at said "Blanton" across the pick.

Coy Wylie
Feb-06-2004, 12:56pm
Integrity is indeed a fine jewel.

thistle3585
Feb-06-2004, 1:58pm
Nolan,
Thanks for the input. #I guess I was misled when I bought my "clown barfs" because that is how they were advertised and they are the same as what you described except that they were $4.00. #Anyhow, I still like them, so I will continue to use them. #BTW, I have noticed on a couple that there are some flat spots on the edge where two different colors come together.

Nolan
Feb-06-2004, 2:23pm
thistle3585, I'm sorry to hear that someone misled you as well. Dang it!
By the way, from the picture I received of the real clown barf I was able to determine that the fake ones are made of a different type of barf. He he!
Seriously though, they are different.

Mike McCoy
Feb-06-2004, 5:00pm
You're so right Willard. Thanks Nolan you make this a better community and so does whoever gave you the "right" info. on the barf picks.

John Ely
Feb-06-2004, 5:21pm
Fender clown barf is celluloid, and that is one of my favorite plastic pick materials. I don't know if Dawg clown barf is celluloid or not. The mock-tortoise Dawgs that I had did not seem to be celluloid to me, and I never did like them very much.

8ch(pl)
Feb-07-2004, 7:58am
Would it be possible to get a sheet of this material to make a pick guard?