PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd Loar at Oberlin...

Spruce
Jul-01-2004, 8:16am
Hi folks....

I'm at Oberlin College for the Oberlin Violin Maker's Workshop....
Been here for the last 2 weeks, and one more day to go...

40 of the best makers on the planet, and 2 Amatis from the British Conservatory to check out and play....

Anyway, I digress....

One hundred years ago this year, Lloyd Loar joined the Oberlin mandolin society, and was a student here.

He didn't graduate....

Anyway, yesterday I went over to the student records office and checked out his file.

There was the famous signiture on a student admissions card, and an alumni survey he filled out in '21 or so while working for Gibson, and various other interesting tidbits, including an obit.

I xeroxed everything in the file, and I'll see if I can round up a scanner to post some of the stuff here when I get back to the island...

It was really a thrill to open up the file and see the famous signiture in purple fountain pen ink staring at me--17 years before it would become famous in the mandolin world...

Anyone have any info on Lloyd at Oberlin?
His address while living here?

Info seems to be pretty scarce, and the admissions office had never heard of him....

Scotti Adams
Jul-01-2004, 12:42pm
..thats a neat find Bruce...Im looking forward to seeing your new found treasure..

jessboo
Jul-01-2004, 8:23pm
Tell us about the Amantis

Spruce
Jul-01-2004, 8:49pm
"Tell us about the Amatis "

A 1629 Brothers Amati made by Nicalo Amati in his father's workshop, and a 1671 Hieronymus Amati II, with the sexiest one-piece bearclaw top I've ever laid eyes on....

Both sound fabulous....

jessboo
Jul-02-2004, 9:36am
MMMMMMMMMMM Amantis

Spruce
Jul-02-2004, 1:59pm
Amantis, Amatis.....

Whatever....

jessboo
Jul-02-2004, 9:27pm
Sorry Spruce Never did learn to spell?