PDA

View Full Version : 1954 martin 0-18t

Nathan Kellstadt
Jul-12-2008, 8:35am
I've found a 1954 Martin 0-18T for $900. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not. I'd welcome any opinions. The guitar appears to be in good shape. Thanks.

Brandon Flynn
Jul-12-2008, 9:02am
From what I've seen shopping around it seems like a normal price. But I'm not an expert.

Gary Hedrick
Jul-12-2008, 9:04am
by all means this is a good deal if the instrument is in good shape....no cracks...action good and not needing a neck reset.

Pete Martin
Jul-13-2008, 11:00am
Most I've seen in the 50s are 1500 plus. In the 30's they are 2500 plus. If it is a good guitar, get it.

mandolooter
Jul-13-2008, 12:01pm
uh...no...where? hehehehe http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
that is a very good price if its in nice shape...the O18-t is a highly desirable tenor guitar for sure!

first string
Jul-14-2008, 3:19pm
Sounds like a steal to me. I love my 1940, and I doubt they changed much about the O-18T model in that time.

Nathan Kellstadt
Jul-15-2008, 9:36am
Thanks for the replies. I went and checked it out and noticed a few items.

There's a crack (about 2 inches long) that runs along the outer edge of the pickguard.

The action on the C string at the 12th fret was about 3/8ths of an inch from the bottom of the string to top of the fret, which I thought was maybe a bit high. I'm paranoid that it may need a neck set.

The nut appears to be some sort of black plastic material that is chipping. Does anyone know what this may be?

Excuse the ignorance, all I really know are mandolins, so sizing up a guitar is foreign to me.

From what I gather here, the price is good assuming it doesn't need any major work, but my dilemna is that I can't tell how much work would need to be done.

Pete Martin
Jul-15-2008, 11:10am
That crack is very common. From what I understand the pick guard shrinks and takes the top with it. Happened on my 48 O18T, I had the pick guard replaced and the crack fixed. The nut is common to those guitars. At that low price and if you are really looking for a tenor, if the guitar sounds good, get it and have the work done, you won't regret it.

Best of luck,

dburtnett
Jul-15-2008, 11:20am
I have a '54 0-18t that I got 2 years ago. FWIW, it came with exactly the issues you describe. I paid a bit more, immediately had a luthier do the pickguard crack repair and nut replacement (with bone); eventually had the neck re-set, and still feel I got a reasonable deal.

I waited on the neck re-set since my action was in that same grey zone of need that you have. #Your call on the kind of action you can live with, but I wish I'd have had the re-set done sooner. #

As for the pickguard crack, the "correct" repair is to have the pickguard removed, repair the crack, have the unfinished area under the guard given a matching nitro-cellulose finish, and re-attach the guard. If not done this way, another crack will develope over time.

I love this tenor, BTW. #It's a head turner... folks are amazed at the volume and tone that comes out of it... despite my playing ability.

If you decide not to buy it, post the contact info here and I bet soembody will snap it up!

Nathan Kellstadt
Jul-16-2008, 9:27am
I've decided not to pursue it because it will likely require additional work I can't afford.

If someone else wants a go at it, it's located outside Albany, NY.

Here's the

Craigslist link (http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/751791069.html)

Pete Martin
Jul-16-2008, 12:55pm
I have a '54 0-18t that I got 2 years ago. FWIW, it came with exactly the issues you describe. I paid a bit more, immediately had a luthier do the pickguard crack repair and nut replacement (with bone); eventually had the neck re-set, and still feel I got a reasonable deal.

I waited on the neck re-set since my action was in that same grey zone of need that you have. Your call on the kind of action you can live with, but I wish I'd have had the re-set done sooner.

As for the pickguard crack, the "correct" repair is to have the pickguard removed, repair the crack, have the unfinished area under the guard given a matching nitro-cellulose finish, and re-attach the guard. If not done this way, another crack will develope over time.

I love this tenor, BTW. It's a head turner... folks are amazed at the volume and tone that comes out of it... despite my playing ability.

If you decide not to buy it, post the contact info here and I bet soembody will snap it up!
Had the same stuff done to my tenor. The neck reset wasn't needed per se, but did it to allow it to play more in tune, so I suggest it to any Martin owner. It made a big difference in the intonation.

dburtnett
Jul-16-2008, 1:05pm
"The neck reset wasn't needed per se, but did it to allow it to play more in tune, so I suggest it to any Martin owner. #It made a big difference in the intonation. "

Exactly... Pete's point is the important one here.

RandyMolson
Aug-09-2008, 10:09am
The action on the C string at the 12th fret was about 3/8ths of an inch from the bottom of the string to top of the fret, which I thought was maybe a bit high.
Wowze.

The seller is currently posting it in the NYC metro craigslist site for $1000 and the ad claims it has a repaired pickguard crack. I emailed him before I saw your thread and tried offering him $800 and to meet me at the PA/NY border; and was promptly rebuffed. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Since it apparently has been to a luthier (or perhaps somebody with a bottle of Elmers and a vise) I can't imagine the seller is not aware that it needs a reset. It irritates me when people don't disclose. I won't be getting it unless he meets my price and drives it to my door (11-hr round trip). I wonder what fireworks would go off if I offer him $500 since it needs the reset "and who know's what else." http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif