toddr
Jul-12-2008, 12:06am
headstock

toddr
Jul-12-2008, 12:08am
another

Bill Snyder
Jul-12-2008, 7:27am
Wow. I may like that back wood as well as any I have ever seen. That is definitely "tiger striped".
Did you stain black and sand back and then stain with your second color?

toddr
Jul-12-2008, 8:06am
i used blk trans tint dye with denatured alcohol for the top. i was tough to get it on uniformly and took a few applications. it was very tedious sanding to keep from taking out any color. i even had to mix some dye with my first coat of varnish. another thing with the sanding was keeping the black dust off of the other parts of the mandolin. i'm relatively new to building and i may have done this the hard way but it turned out to be a pretty good mandolin. i actually finished it over a year ago. but due to a bad fret job and some other issues i just now had the time to refret and get it set up. i has a pretty good sound it notes clearly and it very loud, but the tone is a little harsh and the chop is a little weak. hopefully these things will improve with time.

Ken
Jul-12-2008, 11:47am
Looks great! I am also working on an A model that I am planning on being black-faced. Your picture just motivated me to get back to work on it.
Ken

Bill Snyder
Jul-12-2008, 5:44pm
I was actually asking about your finish schedule on the back.

Dan Voight
Jul-13-2008, 6:57pm
Toddr,
Nice looking instrument. If you were dissatisfied, next time, you might want to try flat black enamel spray paint. I've done two like that with satisfactory results.