PDA

View Full Version : Grateful dawg

Austin Koerner
Jul-11-2008, 11:43pm
I saw the commercial for this while whatching a Miles Davis documentary. It looks really awesome, and I know most people on here will enjoy it.

This is from Ovation's website.

Jerry Garcia, legendary lead guitarist for the Grateful Dead and David Grisman, virtuoso mandolinist and founder of "Dawg" music . . . Now, for the first time ever, the musical matrimony and extraordinary friendship of Garcia and Grisman is traced in the award-winning documentary GRATEFUL DAWG. Using rare concert footage, never-before-released recordings and exclusive home video of private jam sessions, GRATEFUL DAWG reveals the unique Garcia/Grisman connection from their earliest days as budding bluegrass aficionados, through the renowned 1973 "Old & In the Way" sessions to the classic Garcia/Grisman Band albums that highlighted Jerry's final years. Included are rare concert performances from San Francisco's Warfield Theatre, the infamous reunion concert at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley and the unreleased music video for "The Thrill Is Gone." Featuring previously unreleased versions of the songs "Grateful Dawg," "Off to Sea Once More," "Sittin' Here in Limbo," "Friend of the Devil" and "Arabia," GRATEFUL DAWG will electrify fans and music lovers of all ages.

Grateful Dawg (http://ovationtv.com/programs/255)

woodwizard
Jul-11-2008, 11:51pm
Yes Sir ! That's a good one so get your recorders ready. And don't miss it if you haven't seen it yet for sure.

Dave Hanson
Jul-12-2008, 1:11am
I have this film by Gillian Grisman on video, it's totally brilliant, if you haven't seen it, don't miss it.

Dave H

Bobbie Dier
Jul-12-2008, 1:28am
Thanks!! That will be great. I wish it wasn't on so late though. Where is the whiner emoticon?

Tom Gibson
Jul-12-2008, 1:33am
I've seen it, it's good stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

Joe Dodson
Jul-12-2008, 1:37am
Sweet! Time to fire up the Tivo.

Ray(T)
Jul-12-2008, 12:19pm
I love the bit where.......

I'd better not spoil it for you!

Rick Schmidlin
Jul-12-2008, 12:21pm
Great Film,Great CD Soundtrack !

Elliot Luber
Jul-12-2008, 12:25pm
Last time I watched this video, I ran out and spent $100 on Grisman CDs. Don't tell my wife it's on. :-)

SternART
Jul-12-2008, 12:30pm
Sounds like a well spent $100.

Andrew DeMarco
Jul-12-2008, 12:39pm
I highly recommend both the documentary and album.

Jim
Jul-12-2008, 5:43pm
Ovation tv has had a number of very good music programs lately. A BB king special, Thelonious Monk, Miles davis (mentioned above) a Gibson guitar special with some Django footage as well as some great Chet Atkins and Les Paul old and not quite so old footage. I've had the greatful dawg dvd and cd for a few years now and recomend them both.

Brandon Flynn
Jul-12-2008, 5:52pm
Ovation tv has great music programs. I think they do art sometimes also. I used to have that channel, watched all the time, but I don't have it anymore!

Salty Dog
Jul-13-2008, 11:40pm
The DVD is available at a reasonable price - I got mine from Borders (but they had to order it for me). Its one of those things you can watch a hundred times and still enjoy every moment.

Martin Jonas
Jul-14-2008, 5:37am
The DVD is available at a reasonable price - I got mine from Borders (but they had to order it for me).
It's available at a very reasonable price: from $6.40 new incl. shipping through Amazon marketplace (a few cent cheaper for used copies). I got my copy a few years ago in a shop in the UK for 3 Pounds ($6).

What I found somewhat annoying is that almost all of the music has interviews over the top of it, with the music continuing low down int he background -- you need to get the soundtrack CD to get the music uninterrupted. It would have been nice, and easy to implement, if the DVD had a menu option switching between music and interviews.

Martin

Mr. Loar
Jul-14-2008, 6:03am
Great show, I watched the whole thing.

Robert Moreau
Jul-14-2008, 7:14am
I have the DVD. It's awesome. Sometimes I watch bits of it before going to a gig for inspiration.

A bit out of season at the moment but I really like the version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" in the bonus tunes section. Great stuff.

Rob

Mattg
Jul-14-2008, 10:26am
That was great. I really enjoyed watching the interplay between Jerry and Dawg. The videos of the live performances were facinating. It made me sad to think Jerry is gone.

One thing that hit me is how lucky the Grisman kids were to have been around to hear these two guys playing in the living room. With musical influences like that, it's no wonder Sam is developing into a great bass player.

garyblanchard
Jul-14-2008, 11:29am
[quote=Salty Dog,July 14 2008, 00:40]
What I found somewhat annoying is that almost all of the music has interviews over the top of it, with the music continuing low down int he background -- you need to get the soundtrack CD to get the music uninterrupted. #It would have been nice, and easy to implement, if the DVD had a menu option switching between music and interviews.

Martin
While I understand the frustration, there is a difference between a concert film and a documentary. I wanted this to learn more about the artists rather than to see them perform. All in all, I felt it was very well done and presented a portrait of two very gifted artists and the unique band that they shared.

Now, a Garcia/Grisman concert film would be nice... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mattg
Jul-14-2008, 11:34am
For a music documentary, I thought that it was unusual how long some of the performances lasted without any dialog. I'm with the last post, I was very interested in the what they had to say.

pjlama
Jul-14-2008, 12:00pm
I missed it on tv but recently bought a DVD copy on ebay for $4. I hadn't seen it since it came out, great movie!

bienkow1
Jul-14-2008, 12:26pm
The living room scenes are just incredible...

fishdawg40
Jul-14-2008, 2:15pm
The living room scenes are just incredible...
So true. It's an inspiration because the stuff they are playing is not complicated. Jerry's messing with stuff like we all do. Kinda like they are down at our level, in a sense. And the fact that they're in a living room, in comfy clothes, like regular guys adds to this notion. Really demonstrates that we are all the same no matter how much of a "superstar" some might be....

Salty Dog
Jul-14-2008, 10:33pm
Actually Gary, the quote was from MartinJonas rather than me. Don't you love high technology?