PDA

View Full Version : Ebay 8-string tenor

Mike Herlihy
Jul-09-2008, 4:32pm
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Vintage-8-String-Tenor-Acoustic-Guitar-Nice-NR_W0QQitemZ270253937863QQihZ017QQcategor
yZ118979QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Ebay Tenor Guitar</a>

Any idea of who built this. I'd guess S.S. Stewart,

MikeEdgerton
Jul-09-2008, 5:06pm
Probably built by one of the Chicago builders (Kay/Harmony/Regal). It wasn't built in 1925 and I doubt it said tenor Guitar or 1925 on the headstock when it was built. That tailpiece was common on Regal brand instruments late 20's/early 30's but could have been used by the other builders as well. The body is too deep in my way of thinking to be a 20's tenor. I've never seen the headstock shape on anything. I'm going to guess if you scraped off some paint you'd see another finish.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-12-2008, 9:27pm
Yes I looked at this thing too and suggest that it was supposed to be a mandocello.

I have no idea why any builder would put "tenor guitar" on the headstock -- goofy. #So I think Mike is obviously correct it was added later.

But the nut is just the right width for a mandocello -- the scale length is a tad shy but you could fix that with the right strings.

Interesting insturment -- maybe someone set out to make an 8-string tenor -- ala a 12 string standard guitar but that seems unlikely

Obviously owned by a women? (the rose after Emmy Lou Harris on the front).

It seems worth more than is being bid right now --in my opinion.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-13-2008, 6:37am
I also doubt that the metal plate on the heel of the neck is original.

markishandsome
Jul-13-2008, 10:45am
I have no idea why any builder would put "tenor guitar" on the headstock -- goofy. So I think Mike is obviously correct it was added later.

A lot has changed in instrument making in the last 80 years. Words' meanings shift over time. I looks to be strung with the lower two courses tuned in octaves, much like a 12-string guitar though I believe many irish players tune their "mandocellos" that way too. ANyway, a rose by any other name...