PDA

View Full Version : Mid-missouri m4

Lord Of The Flies
Jul-03-2008, 12:14am
I spent a good deal of time at McCabe's guitar shop in Los Angeles today talking to the people around, tested some mandolins, etc. They seemed to agree (and from what I can tell by sound and feel) that the Mid-mo M4 would be the best instrument for my personal situation (violinist, never really played a fretted instrument before). They gave me a price of about $500 new...does that seem reasonable to you guys? They put it on hold for now..

I wish there were more small shops around that would sell mandolins.

allenhopkins
Jul-03-2008, 12:41am
There are no "new" Mid-Missouris; the label's out of business, and Mr. Dulak's now building under the name Big Muddy. #Here's his website; (http://franklinguitarcompany.com/) you'll notice, however, that his "products" page still shows the Mid-Mo line, from which I'd infer that he's building all the same Mid-Mo models as Big Muddies.

McCabe's may have an unsold "new old stock" Mid-Missouri; the M-4 was a top model. #There's a used Big Muddy with the pau ferro back and sides in the Cafe classifieds for $550. #Seems to me $500 would be a good price.

We all wish more music stores sold mandolins, but that's the world as it is. #You're making a good choice in playing a variety of instruments to find the one that best fits your tastes and budget. #You'll be getting a good general-purpose instrument, not particularly a bluegrass mandolin, but well-made and beyond most starter instruments.

Hans
Jul-03-2008, 5:34am
You can't go wrong with a Mid-Mo. It's simple (you are not paying for all the cheap, gaudy trim), solid wood, has good tone and playability. When you decide to upgrade to a more expensive mandolin, they are easy to sell, and best of all, they are made in the USA. You couldn't ask for more in a beginning mandolin.

8ch(pl)
Jul-03-2008, 6:27am
I have had one for about 8 years and love it. #Second hand they run between $350 and $450. #I would pay $500 for one in new condition. #Check the frets on the smaller 2 strings for whether or not there is a groove worn by the string. #The first 5 frets are the ones used the most. #The wound strings don't wear as much.

I love the understated look, those tiny fret markers. #I have put a cast tailpiece on mine as well as a home made pick guard and an arm rest. I use LaBella strins from Jazzmando. For me this will probably be the last mandolin I buy, unless I can find a teens Gibson at a very good price. #I would like to have another Mid Missouri. #I love this mandolin.

GRW3
Jul-03-2008, 8:13am
Add me to those who sing the praises of the instrument if not the manufacturer. They are well designed, sound good and easy to play. They retain their value really well so if you want to go to something fancier you have a good down payment.

Jim MacDaniel
Jul-03-2008, 11:13am
$500 new sounds good to me. Gryphon sells the newer-name-but-identical Big Muddy M-4 for $525 new, which I always thought was a good price for a new one. (If you can get them to thrown in a case or gig bag for the $500 price, that will be an even better deal ;)

BTW, good choice on going with the M-4: that has been my favorite from Mike's lineup for a while -- from tone, volume, and aesthetic points of view.

Lord Of The Flies
Jul-03-2008, 4:15pm
Yeah, it comes with a case for a grand total of about $520ish. I want to see if I can get some sort of a deal to get a strap and some strings as well because I'm going to be buying a bunch of books from them as well.

It's currently on hold because I'm going to check out another store nearby today to see if they've got anything in stock I like.

Lord Of The Flies
Jul-03-2008, 9:46pm
At the new store today I saw the M4 for $700, which made me smile on the inside. However, they also had a much wider selection of mandos around my price range, so I looked around for a bit. I found a Kentucky KM3805 for about $475 which I kind of like...I'm still not sure whether I like it or the M4 better, though. Do you guys have any opinions about which would be the best for my money? I want kind of an all-purpose mandolin, not particularly suited for any style.

They had some absolutely gorgeous A-style's that I loved, but they were all well above $1000...that's the only thing I really don't like about the M4, the look. But I don't want to be too picky.

Brad Weiss
Jul-03-2008, 10:31pm
The M4 will hold it's value better than the Kentucky when/if you want to sell it. #I played a Kentucky for years, and now have a Mid-Mo mandola- no question, the mid-mo is a better made, and sounding instrument. #F holes are probably more "all-purpose" than the oval hole, but most M4's are loud enough to work in most contexts.

Jim MacDaniel
Jul-04-2008, 4:10pm
The Mid-Mo is handmade, and the Kentucky is an assembly line mandolin (although the Kentucky is still a decent mandolin for the money). Having owned both a Kentucky and a Mid-Mo in the past, the only reason I would recommend the Kentucky over the Mid-Mo is if you were sure you would be joining some Bluegrass jams; if not, I would put my money on the M-4.

However, you might want to look at the used "Moon Mandolin" listed in the classifieds, for $650 with case, and including shipping. Jimmy Moon is a UK builder who also hand-builds his instruments, which have a far sexier tear-drop body shape than the Mid-Mo (see sample picture from Moon's website below), and are a comparably well made instrument. You will be loosing the rosewood back and sides as they are maple instruments, but I compared a couple of Moons to a maple Mid-Mo/Big-Muddy before at Gryphon, and to my memory I had a hard time deciding which I liked better tone and playability wise, but the Moon definitely had a nicer body shape to my eyes.

Rick Schmidlin
Jul-05-2008, 1:48pm
Ask McCabes if they have the full price trade up grade and three year set-up program for mandos like guitars.

Also if John, the long haired bearded luthier is still there he is a mando player and worth talking to.

Lord Of The Flies
Jul-05-2008, 3:40pm
Yeah they've still got the three year upgrade program, which sounded real nice to me the first time they said it. I'll look for John when I go in today.

Caleb
Jul-06-2008, 7:08am
Deciding between the Mid-Mo and a good Kentucky is a tough decision. On one hand, the MM has the USA-made thing going for it; they sound great; they hold their value; they are just very cool instruments on the whole, etc, etc.

But, in my experience, any good, well set-up carved-top instrument will always be more versatile than a flattop instrument. Flattops tend to do one thing really, really well, where a carved-top will get you a much wider variety of sounds.

I have a flattop and I've owned a carved-top (have another one on the way) and have found that I just like to have both on hand. That is the ideal, but if I only had one to choose, I'd choose a carved-top.

8ch(pl)
Jul-24-2008, 5:01am
The other day I was at a Folk function with my M-4. #We were running a bit late so the jam - song circle part was limited. #I played second and decided to do only one song, Streets of Laredo which I chorded in Key of G with a bit of picking between a few of the verses.

A fellow member that I had not seen for about a year (an awesome guitarist) complimented me on the sound of the mandolin. #He said it was really opening up nicely.

I don't think I'm going to change too soon.

billkilpatrick
Jul-24-2008, 5:42am
you bought a keeper. a wonderful instrument - definitely a flat-back of note.

lord of the flies - the disparaging "look" you mention might have something to do with the context in which it's played. for medieval, european folk and (i suggest) early americana, new england, etc., it's absolutely perfect - both in looks and sound. i grant you, for bluegrass - due of its simplicity and clean lines; its total disregard of "bling" - it doesn't go with the rest of the outfit.

delsbrother
Jul-24-2008, 6:16am
Unfortunately, John Zehnder passed away in 2006... Amazing guy.

The last time I was at McCabe's I noticed lots of NOS Mid-Mos, and since I'd never played them before I checked them out and was quite impressed. IIRC the price listed was a little more...

If he's still unsure, I would suggest their rental program (really a lease with option to buy). Can't go wrong.

Now as a fellow SoCal guy, I want to know where he went that had more mandos than McCabes!

Capt. E
Jul-24-2008, 9:12am
I just sold my Mid-Mo M-O (with hard case, custom strap, elec tuner) on Ebay...got $450 for the outfit. They do hold their value. Probably regret selling it, but raising money for something "better".

Gene Justin
Jul-27-2008, 3:49pm
You might do well to contact Mike Dulak directly and ask about costs for a new instrument. I purchased a couple of mandolins through him (a M4 and a mandola) and found the prices were better than buying one through a dealer. The difference in price will, at the least, get you what you need to buy a nice hard-shell case (from Big Muddy) and Grover tuners. And ... the instruments I received were as NEW as new could be ... with absolutely NO shop-wear whatsoever! I would call and see what he has to say.

Capt. E
Jul-29-2008, 1:22pm
Didn't know Mike Dulak sold directly. I guess there is no reason why he wouldn't. I think his dealer network contracted a bit during the change to Big Muddy.

PhilGE
Jul-29-2008, 4:06pm
Mid-Mo's are great deals for the price and are an excellent value for beginners and those who want a good playing/sounding "beater" instrument. With Mid-Mo, there's little or no flash to distract you from the simplicity of the design and the good craftsmanship. They were designed and built to be good quality, hand made, instruments made in the USA. Mike's done an excellent job.

-Phil

billkilpatrick
Jul-29-2008, 4:27pm
Mid-Mo's are great deals for the price and are an excellent value for beginners and those who want a good playing/sounding "beater" instrument. With Mid-Mo, there's little or no flash to distract you from the simplicity of the design and the good craftsmanship. They were designed and built to be good quality, hand made, instruments made in the USA. Mike's done an excellent job.

-Phil
whoa! ... nothing beater-esque about my m-4. low on "bling" - to be sure ... not for those needing the reassurance of vast expense - just an extremely well made, very high quality instrument at a reasonable price.

making something that's simple and comprehensive at the same time is pure genius.

Mike Buesseler
Jul-29-2008, 5:30pm
You might want to check <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Missouri-M-4-Mandolin-w-factory-pickup_W0QQitemZ220262341926QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101 79QQ
ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">this</a> out....

PhilGE
Jul-29-2008, 5:55pm

-Phil
whoa! ... nothing beater-esque about my m-4. #low on "bling" - to be sure ... not for those needing the reassurance of vast expense - just an extremely well made, very high quality instrument at a reasonable price. #

making something that's simple and comprehensive at the same time is pure genius.
No offense meant, Bill. Some folks who can afford multi-K instruments consider these "beaters" simply because they don't cost much by comparison. I'd be more than happy to own one, but 'cause I have a few nice instruments, can't rationalize another (go away, MAS, go away!). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-Phil

billkilpatrick
Jul-30-2008, 2:50am
... no offense taken.

as of a few months ago, mike said he had enough spare time to engage in some home improvements. i got the impression he'd rather be doing something else - anything else - like making mandolins.

we can help ... a sort of "i've got orders to fill - what's wrong with the old kitchen anyway?" sort of a thing.

AlanP
Aug-06-2008, 5:26am
i love the mid-mo body. that's something unique..:p hershey's body
how's the volume compare to a carved top A-style oval?

the body of it seems larger.

billkilpatrick, your m-4 sounds tremendous i must say:laugh: