PDA

View Full Version : A-style from f5 plans

burcher
Jul-02-2008, 10:53am
I found 1 thread about this but it didn't address this question: is this list of differences re: building an a vs. an f complete or am i forgetting something? Basically, I have been studying up on f style building but have decided my first will be an a. here goes:

obvious:
1) headstock (not necessarily, I know)
2) tuners (see (1))
3) points and scroll
4) headblock (no scroll)
5) body binding (somewhat less painful?)

less obvious/questions:
1) soundboard, including 15th fret crosspiece and thickness in this area - is there any reason it should be different?
2) body binding around neck joint/top of body - will binding still need to be thicker here? I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
3) back thickness around heel - same as 2 - will binding 'rise' or can the back 'edge' thickness be the same all the way around?

I realize some of these are opinions and not absolutes and I'm really looking for major things I'm missing. I made my own patterns for body shape, headstock, and heelblock, but can't 'visualize' if carving the top and back areas near the neck joint will be different. i mean, I know they'll be different with respect to not having a scroll, but will the thicknesses need to be beefed up or altered for support or anything crazy?

thanks, all, for continually making my first build easiER.

Chris

Rick Lindstrom
Jul-02-2008, 3:30pm
I'm building an A from F plans. Just removed the scroll and points, and the peghead will be an A-style with A type tuners.

So far, everything else is the same- innards, graduations etc. etc.

Rick

sunburst
Jul-02-2008, 3:48pm
I designed my A5 by taking the points and scrolls off of my F5 design, and that's about it, though there is a slight difference in the outline, but that's purely aesthetic. Arching, graduations, tone bars, F-holes, all the same.