PDA

View Full Version : Hilburn #20

Jim Hilburn
Jun-29-2008, 12:51pm
I never posted any shots of this one when it was new. I was frequenting the Cafe, but Scott hadn't enabled photo posting yet.
This is #20 and belongs to a friend of mine who also has an F,#18. It was made in early 2001.

Jim Hilburn
Jun-29-2008, 12:55pm
I installed a James tailpiece a couple of years ago and now I'm going to add a Cumberland Acoustic bridge. Steve may have made them back then but I didn't know about them. This is a Stew-Mac bridge and they're not very good.
The top is Colorado blue spruce which came from Don Musser.

Jim Hilburn
Jun-29-2008, 12:59pm
This is the only time I did wood binding. I used wood purflings to make top and side highlight lines.

Jim Hilburn
Jun-29-2008, 1:01pm
Binding the body wasn't too bad but this peghead was a real problem. I remember seeking advice on the Cafe and Gavin Baird was very helpful.

mandopluker
Jun-29-2008, 1:28pm
Jim,

As always.... very tasteful. I really like your work!

Glassweb
Jun-29-2008, 1:57pm
talk about tasteful... great work Jim!

JEStanek
Jun-29-2008, 4:06pm
Very classy.

Jamie

first string
Jun-30-2008, 1:48pm
This is the only time I did wood binding. I used wood purflings to make top and side highlight lines.
Why the only time? I love that wood binding. Very elegant. In fact I've come to prefer wood binding. Why make a beautiful instrument out of wood, and then wrap it in plastic. Other than tradition, and that being what the market is used to.