PDA

View Full Version : CD Duplication

HurleyRidge
Feb-05-2004, 12:33pm
I am interested in all experience and advice about getting a Compact Disc duplicated. I play in a family bluegrass band, HurleyRidge and we have been doing some recording on a digital recorder. We want to have discs duplicated and have them packaged with inserts and wrapped in plastic,possibley even a barcode put on, but not a requirement. Who offers a good service for the least amount of money. Also any info on those services that may also offer mastering services would be appreciated. I am looking at getting 500 to 1000 CDs made. Thanks, Glenn Hurley

BenE
Feb-05-2004, 12:55pm
Glenn...
I am sort of in the same boat..although our recording project has not gone well at all! We have been in the studio for seven months and have lost all of our project for the second time due to engineer/computer error....We just found out that is will cost about $10,000 to recover the data off a bad CD. Apparently the studio guys we HAD been working with didn't know the meaning of multiple back-up copies! We have learned our lession the hard way and are now looking at another studio! The first time it was lost we figured well these things happen and they are nice guys and all...The second time was just to much to stomach....What a huge loss of time and effort on our part!

As far as duplication goes...there is a company called Oasis Oasis (http://www.oasiscd.com/)
that we looked into and I was really impressed with how they responded to our questions. They sent out a packet of several different CD formats that were avalaible and had great follow thru on their communication. They offer a bar code for little to no extra charge. They assign a rep. to handle all your questions and to help walk you through the process. This rep. will be the same guy you talk to throughout your whole project. I like being able to talk to one person that knows what is going on with my project and that will address my concerns as opposed to being shuffled around several different people that have no clue of what is going on. I'm sure that there are a ton of companies just like this one....but to me...I really liked the way these guys do business. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
BTW...No Financial Interest on my part!

As far as mastering...I heard that Doobie Shea doobieshea (http://www.doobieshea.com/)
was running a special on mastering....14 songs (all under five minutes) mastered for $300.00...This was hearsay and I can't confirm but if true that is a great deal from one of the best studios in the business.

thistle3585
Feb-05-2004, 1:24pm
Look up Diskmakers on a search engine. I am always getting their catalog, but I just threw it out. They offer a variety of packages which include packaging and printing. If I come across a catalog I'll post it, but they should be easy to find on the internet.

mandofiddle
Feb-05-2004, 2:21pm
Hey BenE,
Thanks for that link. We've been talking about going into the studio, and that looks like the perfect company to do what we need.

HurleyRidge
Feb-05-2004, 3:22pm
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the other web sites. Glenn Hurley

CharlieKnuth
Feb-05-2004, 3:42pm
Glenn,

I have used Oasis and know musician friends who have used them as well. I have yet to hear someone complain but the service or quality. I was very happy with how they handle getting my CD duplicated and printed. Good luck - having a professional recording is a very satisfying accomplishment. My advice to you if you are thinking about 500 or 1000 copies is to go with the 1000. The cost difference is very minimal. It is okay to have too many of them, it is better than having to reorder another 500.

MartinD_GibsonA
Feb-05-2004, 6:32pm
The company to which thistle3585 referred is actually called Disc Makers. #Our band used them and was very happy with their product. #I've also heard good things about Oasis.

Don Smith

Stillpicking
Feb-05-2004, 7:59pm
I just finished creating the front CD artwork and layout/design for "Mosaic" for the Montana Mandolin Society's new CD. We used
Copy Cats copycatsmedia.com They have a real good web site with info and will get back to you with a good quick quote on CD duplication and graphics/printing. Nice people to work with.

You can see an example of the front cover for "Mosaic" by going to the cafe front page archives.
Mike

tartan phantom
Feb-06-2004, 2:55pm
Two words:

OASIS ROCKS!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif