PDA

View Full Version : Just something i'm working on...

Tim McTigue
Jun-28-2008, 6:35pm
Spent a couple hours this afternoon throwing together a quick audio sketch of something I was inspired to start writing by just fooling around on my mandolin the other day. #It's an old mandolin, 1920's-1930's vintage, Regal... the top was sinking, so I haven't played it for a few years. #Just got it repaired last week (replaced a top brace), and got it back in playing order. #Thought you folks might like to hear the result...

Keep in mind this is a very early mix, and I still have lots of writing to do here. #There are lots of mistakes. #The guitar track was done in one take. #There are 2 mandolin tracks, each of them took 2 takes. #The "bass" is a MIDI keyboard. #I do, however, think this has some potential...

Here's the song (in progress) (http://home.cogeco.ca/~guitartim/who_can_say.mp3)

Chris Travers
Jun-28-2008, 7:02pm
Are there going to be words?

Tim McTigue
Jun-28-2008, 7:17pm
Yes, but they're not written yet. In fact, I'm still working on the tune...

Bob Wiegers
Jun-30-2008, 10:54am
I like it very much. I dont know what your plans are, but I think the different strum at around 2:17 should come in earlier, and then back to the original strum at the end. maybe?

I know it's not easy to put yourself out there, so thanks for sharing. I often wish there was much more of that going on around here (and so does the Dawg, if you read his recent interview here on the Cafe) but I suppose there arent too many of us so inclined.

anyway, looking forward to hearing more.

Tim McTigue
Jun-30-2008, 11:38am
Bob, thanks very much for the feedback. I'll probably agree with you on the strumming, and this thing will probably evolve quite a bit as I work more on it. At the moment, I have only the vaguest idea where I want it to go, and I'm still working out lyric ideas, which will tend to drive the tune and the overall feel quite a bit. I'm always amazed at how the creative process works, at least for me. It's kind of an ephemeral thing, I'm never quite sure where inspiration will come from, and lots of times I end up losing a thought for not having captured it when it comes. I'm trying to get better at either writing something down, or making a quick recording so I can remember it later when I have time to work on it. I've always dreamed of publishing something, but that is so far an elusive dream. I do appreciate hearing that someone likes something I've written!

Tim McTigue
Jul-01-2008, 3:52pm
Should have some progress soon, I'm working on the lyric, which sounds real corny, but hey, I'm originally from Iowa, so I come by it honestly...