PDA

View Full Version : Multiple mandolins

pinky57
Jun-23-2008, 10:55pm
I have 2 mandolins that I play on a daily basis. Sometimes one plays better than the other. Since I am a beginner, should I stick to just one til I get it right? Does this happen to other folks? I really like both of them. The Eastman usually sounds better, but the Michael Kelly is soooo pretty and sounds almost as good. Maybe as good, just a little different. Any thoughts?

allenhopkins
Jun-23-2008, 11:34pm
...should I stick to just one til I get it right?
Get what right? #If you enjoy playing both instruments, why not play them alternately as your fancy moves you? #You're not hurting your learning process by playing two very similar instruments, IMHO.

It might be different if you were trying to learn, say, guitar and mandolin at the same time; the different tunings, neck sizes, number of strings and scale lengths might lead to confusion (making guitar chords on the mandolin, e.g.). #But I don't think the differences between an Eastman and a MK would be enough to throw you off.

It's no surprise that instruments don't sound identical; even two of the same brand, model and vintage often sound quite distinct, though similar. #That's the variation between individual pieces of wood from which they're constructed, and the slight differences in technique between builders working in the same shop.

As someone who owns nearly 20 mandolin-family instruments, I enjoy the differences in sound among them; that's why I got them, 'cause they sound different. #Enjoy the fact that you can produce different sounds using the same techniques, by selecting one mandolin or the other.

Dave Hanson
Jun-24-2008, 12:14am
I play all my instruments, to spread the wear and tear if nothing else.

Dave H

Tim2723
Jun-24-2008, 7:35am
You're not going to do any harm to yourself or the instruments by playing both. #Aside from all the individual differences Allen mentioned, sometimes one will sound a little better than the other because a mandolin that hasn't been played for a while takes a little time to find its voice agian. No one is 100 percent sure why that happens, but its a pretty common experience. That's probably not the case if you're playing both every day though.

If you feel for some reason that switching back and forth is hampering your progress, then by all means stick to one instrument for a while. #Perception is reality in this game, and anything that helps us move forward is a good thing. #Most important is to keep working and practicing with good habits.

stevenmando
Jun-24-2008, 7:44am
each one is a voice in a chours they all have there individual voice , its amazing and yet when you get a group together they sound like a great chours happy are the times shopping for a mandolin.

JeffD
Jun-24-2008, 7:46am
I play em all. So they don't get jealous.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-24-2008, 11:26am
My two Webers are totally different in playing quality & tone & i just love the difference. Thatīs ALMOST enough to keep MAS from setting in & i do stress ALMOST however,
Saska

Bernie Daniel
Jun-27-2008, 5:28am
Pinky57: Since I am a beginner, should I stick to just one til I get it right?

I think you are doing fine and will be OK with that. #But if you start trying to play both of them at once get back with us right away -- this can be a problem! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif