PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and need advice

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 10:35am
First off, I'm Lynda and I'm new here.

Starting playing acoustic guitar in March, after wanting to do that forever. My B-day is imminently arriving and I am looking at a mandolin for my present.

Don't really know where to start. My original budget was $500 which may have increased to $1000 yesterday. Trying to find mandolins locally, that are less than the multiple $1,000s is difficult. Saw and "played" a Washburn M120-K yesterday which I loved.

Would appreciate anyones help. Many thanks in advance.

Lynda

Greenmando
Jun-22-2008, 10:45am
Welcome to the cafe.
Tell us where you are and we can likely guide you to a store.

I have bought most of mine from the classifieds here in the cafe.
Steve Perry (http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/home.html) is a pleasure to buy from.

You will see little to no difference between a A style or F style in music quality, the difference is the $1000 strap holder. There was a used Gibson A9 in the classifieds recently for $800.
The real joy is trying many and finding the one that speaks to you. Try a lot of different picks, mandos react differently to each one.

Jim Garber
Jun-22-2008, 10:49am
If you loved the Washburn then why not buy it? I am not sure what you are asking. BTW Music 123 is selling the M120K (http://www.music123.com/Washburn-M120-Richie-Owens-F-Style-Mandolin-w-case-516896-i1167488.Music123) for under $1000. NFI.

Martin Jonas
Jun-22-2008, 11:04am
Hey, I like the side bar on the Music123 site, with its bold claim:

Customers who viewed the Washburn M120 Richie Owens F Style Mandolin w/case ultimately bought:

- Gibson F-5 Distressed Master Model Mandolin ... $22,999.99

I have this scenario in my mind of some punter idly browsing through the Music123 site, carefully considering the Washburn, then moving on to the DMM and thinking "Yes, that's the one for me -- let's just slightly revise my budget and then press that Add To Cart button"...

Martin

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 11:19am
Well, in terms of buying the Washburn, I loved it, but it's more than my Taylor 110 cost. I am a little reserved about spending that much. I mean, it is lovely to look at and I really loved the sound. Just looking for opinions on Washburn and other possible options. Didn't mention that I am looking for an F Style. I live quite close to Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Is there any point in looking at Gibson?

Many thanks,

Lynda

mandroid
Jun-22-2008, 11:40am
A9 is the Plain Jane version of the A5L, , all the meat and potato's are there ,
just leaves off the fancy trimmings

would, like the Tailor Guitar , be a good lifetime instrument.

John Flynn
Jun-22-2008, 11:43am
I don't think there is much point in looking at Gibson if you want stay under $1000 for an F-style. The ways you get more bang for your buck are (I'm not saying these are all options you should take, just some general principles):
> Give up on the F-style and get an A-style. You can get a lot more mandolin for the money.
> Look in the used market, versus the new. The Classifieds here are a good place to start.
> Look for builders who are just starting out, versus big names.
> If you really want an F and you are going PacRim, I think Kentucky has the most complete product line at various price points. You can get a KM-630 F-style for $595 new. They can probably be found used also. It should be a good instrument.
> Save some money for a good setup, good strings and accessories. A very modest mandolin with a great set-up, good strings and things like a Tone Gard and arm rest can often out-class a better mandolin without all that.

But if you really like that Washburn and can afford it, you should get it. Otherwise, you will always be wondering if you should have.

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 11:57am
I don't think there is much point in looking at Gibson if you want stay under $1000 for an F-style. The ways you get more bang for your buck are (I'm not saying these are all options you should take, just some general principles):
> Give up on the F-style and get an A-style. You can get a lot more mandolin for the money.
> Look in the used market, versus the new. The Classifieds here are a good place to start.
> Look for builders who are just starting out, versus big names.
> If you really want an F and you are going PacRim, I think Kentucky has the most complete product line at various price points. You can get a KM-630 F-style for $595 new. They can probably be found used also. It should be a good instrument.
> Save some money for a good setup, good strings and accessories. A very modest mandolin with a great set-up, good strings and things like a Tone Gard and arm rest can often out-class a better mandolin without all that.

But if you really like that Washburn and can afford it, you should get it. Otherwise, you will always be wondering if you should have.

Thank you. Good to know about Gibson. I know this is going to sound really vain, but I really don't like the look of the A style mandolins. I'm now ducking from all the stuff that is being hurled my way.

Have been looking for used all over, on this site, Ebay, Craigslist, etc.

Really didn't know much about Washburn and that's why I asked. When it came to buying my acoustic, when I heard a Taylor versus other options in my price point, I knew it had to be a Taylor. As for the Washburn, I haven't heard enough other mandolins to know if it's the one yet.

JEStanek
Jun-22-2008, 12:27pm
Any instrument needs a proper set up before it will play well and not hinder you. Most instruments you can purchase off of e-bay that don't have a brick and mortar store behind them are drop shipped from the manufacturer/importer with no set up. Factory set up means no set up. Count on spending an extra $40-100 on a good set up and new strings.

All that said, if I were in your shoes with your requirements, I would consider the Eastman 515 new or used from a dealer like Dennis Vance's Manodlin store or Gianna Violins (referenced above). Both, in addition to our board sponsors, have high reputations for customer service and quality instruments. Full disclosure, I bought my Eastman 814 (F with oval hole) from Gianna Violins. I don't have a stake in his business I'm just a satisfied customer. The Eastman has a narrower neck, is hand carved and has a hand applied finish.

Our Classifieds are a good source as well. If you're not a strict bluegrasser, consider the Breedlove Quartz KF (http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/mandolins/quartz/ko_kf/index.php) used. A slightly wider fingerboard and a chunkier neck than the Eastman. I have not played the Kentucky F styles or a Washburn. I started with a Kentucky KM140S (solid topped A with F holes).

since you are close to Toronto, visit 12th Fret (http://www.12fret.com/used/index.html) and try all the mandolins (above and below your budget) and get the best playing sounding one you can afford. Take a friend and have them play them to you too. An f hole mandolin sounds different to the player and the audience.

Good luck,
Jamie

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 1:59pm
Just curious, anybody know where the Washburns are made? Are they American or built in Asia?

Thanks.

Bill Snyder
Jun-22-2008, 4:26pm
Asia.

atetone
Jun-22-2008, 4:33pm
Lynda, you have been given some very good advice here and as a fellow Canuck I feel bound to give you mine:)
Take Jamies advice and go to the 12TH Fret and try some out.
You will never know until you sample some. Take your time and let things sink in.
You will get way more bang for the buck with an A style but if you are stuck on an F style then so be it.
You just have to understand that you are giving up a lot of instrument in order to get that scroll.
The Washburns are definately not built in North America. I think it is China now.
My personal opinion is that you forget the Washburn. You can do better.
The new Kentucky mandos are getting good reviews and the Eastman 515 is still a good deal.
I second the opinion that you try giving Dennis Vance a call at The Mandolin Store (see link on the home page).
I recently had excellent dealings with him and he has a good selection in your price range and he will give you the straight goods. He is very knowledgable and is willing to share that knowledge in order to help you decide. He is not pushy at all so don't worry about that. Just explain your situation to him and let him start talking. If nothing else, you will learn some stuff.

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 5:49pm
Lynda, you have been given some very good advice here and as a fellow Canuck I feel bound to give you mine:)
Take Jamies advice and go to the 12TH Fret and try some out.
You will never know until you sample some. Take your time and let things sink in.
You will get way more bang for the buck with an A style but if you are stuck on an F style then so be it.
You just have to understand that you are giving up a lot of instrument in order to get that scroll.
The Washburns are definately not built in North America. I think it is China now.
My personal opinion is that you forget the Washburn. You can do better.
The new Kentucky mandos are getting good reviews and the Eastman 515 is still a good deal.
I second the opinion that you try giving Dennis Vance a call at The Mandolin Store (see link on the home page).
I recently had excellent dealings with him and he has a good selection in your price range and he will give you the straight goods. He is very knowledgable and is willing to share that knowledge in order to help you decide. He is not pushy at all so don't worry about that. Just explain your situation to him and let him start talking. If nothing else, you will learn some stuff.
Many, many thanks. Will forget Washburn.

Almost went to the 12th Fret yesterday, but didn't feel like going into TO. Will go on Saturday. My concern is they won't have anything there that I can afford. I could be wrong.

Lynda

atetone
Jun-22-2008, 6:01pm
Don't worry about being able to afford it. Just go to try some out in order to get an idea of what is what.
You will learn a bit more about what you are looking for in a mandolin. Try out some pricey ones just to get an idea. You might be suprised. It is not always just about how much they cost. Higher cost sometimes does not mean a better (to you) mandolin.
12TH fret also carries the Eastman line which is in your price range.
Maybe try a few out and see what you think.
Just as a matter of note,,, an example of what you can get on the used market,,, an Eastman 815 blond just showed up on the classifieds for $1050.
That is a nice mandolin at a pretty good price.

pager
Jun-22-2008, 6:02pm
Lynda:
I am excited for you! We need more great female musicians. I would 3rd the opinion to forget the Washburn - and take a close look at the Eastman 515. Mine is a cannon and it holds up well to my Collings F that I paid close to 7k for! Good luck and happy shopping.

allenhopkins
Jun-22-2008, 6:24pm
My concern is they won't have anything there that I can afford. I could be wrong.
Well, here's a link (http://www.12fret.com/new/Eastman_MD515_mandolin_My8pg.html) to the 12th Fret web page, showing an Eastman 515 which they describe as "offered in the under $1000.00 price point."

They also list a Kentucky KM-505 (http://www.12fret.com/new/Kentucky_KM-505_mandolin_pg.html) A-style for under $600. #I know you want the scroll, but the KM-505's a nice-looking instrument.

So it seems their under-$1K inventory isn't too extensive, but has a couple of decent choices.

CES
Jun-22-2008, 7:55pm
In general I'd say to forget the Washburn also, but with the wide variability in quality you can see in Pac-Rims, if after trying a few others it sounds and plays the best to you, go for it. I once saw a "no name" mando in a store in Clemmons, NC, that was all solid and very nicely priced. The shop owner said, "For all I know the same Chinese guy who's making Fender and Kentucky carved that one, too." Now, I'm not sure about the exact origin (other than China), and several companies now have their own factories (as opposed to when this occurred). Being skeptical I bought a Kentucky off Ebay that had undisclosed issues but was the same price; I've since spent probably 200-250 bucks in work on the Ebay special, and it honestly doesn't sound any better than the one in that guy's store...should have bought from him and contributed to the local economy!

So, as stated above, compare/play as many as you're able in all price points, be sure to get one that's set up well, or be prepared to factor that extra 50-100 dollars into your budget. If you do buy off the internet, buy from an actual store with a reputable dealer and a reasonable return policy...I've bought a guitar and banjo online from 2 other dealers (one being Janet Davis' store, NFI) and am very pleased with the instruments I received.

Good luck, and don't overthink this too much (like I think I did). Unless you really buy a "top-shelf" instrument, MAS will kick in soon and you'll be looking to trade up, anyway. Just make sure you get one that's playable and you'll be fine. Happy pickin' http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

BTW, it's now Sunday, the day after the fateful 12th Fret trip...what'd you decide?

Bill Snyder
Jun-22-2008, 8:27pm
...BTW, it's now Sunday, the day after the fateful 12th Fret trip...what'd you decide?
She started this thread today (Sunday) so I think the
Saturday mentioned as the day to go must be next Saturday. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

lyric_girl
Jun-22-2008, 8:35pm
MAS... hadn't thought of that. I already have GAS.

Yes, it will be this coming Saturday or June 28 b4 I can get to the 12th Fret.

Jim Broyles
Jun-22-2008, 9:12pm
Lyric_girl, if you still like the Washburn after you have sampled a bunch of others, buy it. The specs on that mando are pretty darn impressive. I wish someone around here carried them so I could try one.

lyric_girl
Jun-23-2008, 6:10pm
Have had long email discussions with Mike at The Acoustic Guitar in Calgary today. I doubt that I would ever buy an A, yes I know I am paying a fortune for the friggen scroll but I REALLY love the Fs. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Can't afford this right now, but will likely look for an Eastman 615 (if I like the sound). Will be going to 12th Fret this weekend and plan on playing everything they have there including the stuff that I can't afford (and the As), unless I win the lottery. Here's hoping.

Many thanks to everyone for your kind advice. I look forward to hanging around here once I am playing and might have something to contribute.

chordbanger
Jun-24-2008, 6:35am
I am a female player, and I own a Kentucky 505 A style mandolin. I love it. Great sound, and I am happy with it.

leathermarshmallow
Jun-24-2008, 12:11pm
JBOVIER

Call Jeff in Kentucky

Good bang for your buck...

Also, because I am a teacher with no summer pay check, I am looking into selling my Glenn mandolin...I don't want to, but I like to eat and feed the family and the mandolin may have to go.

lyric_girl
Jun-24-2008, 7:17pm
Just a further thought. Can anybody give me an idea of what Michael Kellys are like?

Stephanie Reiser
Jun-24-2008, 8:17pm
I believe they are pac-rim, which may or may not be bad.
I think you were looking for north american made. Maybe I'm wrong.
If it were me, I'd be searching for a used F-style Weber. Might be a used Yellowstone out there in your budget.
Or build your own. Get a Stew-Mac or Siminoff kit. There is plenty of experience and advice here available.
Good luck, and welcome to the Cafe!

lyric_girl
Jun-24-2008, 8:23pm
I believe they are pac-rim, which may or may not be bad.
I think you were looking for north american made. Maybe I'm wrong.
If it were me, I'd be searching for a used F-style Weber. Might be a used Yellowstone out there in your budget.
Or build your own. Get a Stew-Mac or Siminoff kit. There is plenty of experience and advice here available.
Good luck, and welcome to the Cafe!
Stephanie,

Thanks very much for your advice. Yes, I would rather have something North American made. That may be anal, but that's just me. Will look for a Weber like you suggested.

By the way, the mandolin on your site is lovely.

Thanks,

Lynda

atetone
Jun-25-2008, 12:35am
Lynda, broken record here,,,
Dennis at The Mandolin Store carries Michael Kelly, Kentucky, Eastman and Rover F styles all in your price range.
He is easy to talk to, with no pressure, and will tell you the truth, and he is very knowledgable about mandolins.
The phone # is 928-684-0212. His website is www.themandolinstore.com
I have no financial interest in this but he recently treated me very well on a deal and is a top notch guy to talk to.
He often has "special pricing" on selected mandolins also.

Timbofood
Jun-25-2008, 7:54am
I suppose this is more repetition, try as many as you can get your hands on. Try everything in sight, A's F's whatever is reasonably within budget. Get to know the guy at the closest store and learn from the staff there too. There are so many playable mandolins now than 30 odd years ago, you will find something that will get you started and keep you happy for a long time. Be patient, good luck.

kudzuklunker
Jun-25-2008, 8:36am
Hi Lynda, welcome. I have owned a Mk for about eight years and am very satisfied with it. I have the Legacy Deluxe. It was made in Korea. It has a very thin top, scalloped braces, which I am told is unusual,and is all solid wood, not laminated. It took a while and a lot of trial and error, but finally got the set up right. it plays very easily and has excellent tone and volume. It is no match for my Weber, but for less than one third the price, I couldn't ask for more. I have heard much criticism of the MK line but personally, I am happy with mine. There are so many good mandolins out there, it's difficult to recommend any particular brand. I truly believe that anyone would be satisfied with any of the mandolins in the one thousand dollar price range, provided it has the correct set up (for you)and you are happy with the appearance. Good luck in your search.

DannyB
Jun-25-2008, 9:07am
I talked a friend of mine into a Rover RM-75. Boy was I suprised when it got here. It has a fairly deep tone and plays nice, wish I would have bought it for a spare. I have a Ratliff and a 95 F5L weber signed Gibby to compare it too. A little less volume but really nice tone. They are cheap too.

Dragonflyeye
Jun-25-2008, 9:36am
I'll chime in on the Eastman, Lynda. Bought a 604A (oval hole) from Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store about 3 weeks ago. It was my second mando in 6 months (don't even ask what the first was). It has a meticulous finish and just rings, the way an oval hole should! Yes, they're made in China, but by hand. Eastman even has a great slide show on their web showing their process. I've seen some used Eastmans on the site here. My next upgrade will be to a made-in-USA mandolin, but I needed to get my hands on a relatively affordable oval hole, after I figured out it was the sound I was after. My first mando was an A-style as well, but an f-hole. I'm not anti-scroll, just kinda frugal. Let us know what you wind up with!

Anita

ronsongz
Jun-27-2008, 12:31pm
Lynda,

I wouldn't dismiss the Washburns so quickly.
I have had one for a year, and it has been a
fine mando. I just bought a Jade from Steve
Perry this week, so the Washburn has been replaced,
but I enjoyed it very much. Good luck in
your search! As others have stated, Steve is
a very good dealer, and also does great
set-up work. He is at Gianna Violins, btw.

Ron

Perry Babasin
Jun-27-2008, 1:45pm
Michael Kelly's are made in Korea, and I would like to say that if you played and liked the Washburn don't dismiss it just yet. That particular model has a slightly wider nut and deeper body and is designed for transitioning guitar players. The woods are great, solid and carved. I would suggest that you play as many mandos as you can find before deciding, but frankly you should pick what suits your playing style, the type of music you enjoy playing, your ears, and your budget. I think the Washburn would be a great mando to learn on and it may be all the mandolin you will ever need (MAS - LOL). I own and play a Michael Kelly Legacy "O", and a "The Loar" (horror of horrors), and love them both for different reasons. I also own a Martin HD-28 guitar but currently cannot afford a mandolin of that caliber, I just like instruments that sound good, look good and play well.

Thanks and welcome............. Perry

lyric_girl
Jun-27-2008, 4:47pm
Tomorrow is the big trip to the 12th Fret in Toronto. Hopefully, I will be closer to owning a mandolin after that trip, but I honestly don't know.

Many thanks for everyone's help.

LJ