PDA

View Full Version : New member, first post, vintage mando

Tim McTigue
Jun-21-2008, 8:14am
Hello, first post here, I'm really happy to have found this site. #Lots of great information, from what I've seen so far.

Anyway, I've had this mandolin since about 1971 when I rescued it from my grandparents' attic in Des Moines, Ia. #We used to poke around up there on visits when we were kids, and at some point I found this thing, and I remember it was some years before I got up the nerve to ask about it. #I brought it downstairs and asked my father, who didn't seem to know about it, and grandma said "Ask your grandpa." #It had been his, of course, and he gave it to me on the spot, not that it looked like any great prize at the time, with no bridge, no nut, strings hanging loose, and the finish looking like it had been alternately baked and frozen for over 30 years...

So I've been playing it ever since, but a few years ago I noticed the top was sagging pretty badly, so I loosened the strings and put it away. #I'm restoring it at the moment, I should have it back together and strung up in another day or so (one of the top braces was broken, I'm replacing it). #I've done a bit of searching on the 'Net, and I've come to think this is possibly a Regal mandolin from the 1920's or so, which would fit with the time frame when my grandfather would probably have bought it (he was born in 1899). #It has no label or identifying markings. #Can anyone offer any confirmation or alternate information? #Thanks in advance...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~guitartim/images/frontback.jpg

MikeEdgerton
Jun-21-2008, 8:21am
It's a Regal Reverse Scroll mandolin, probably from the late 20's early 30's. It referenced but not shown on page 100 of George Gruhn's book Acoustic Guitars and other Fretted Instruments.

Regal (and Harmony, Kay, and Lyon & Healy and others) made many mandolins "For the trade". These would be made without labels or markings and sold by music teachers, schools, and other retailers. many times they had a tag affixed to brand it as a teacher or stores own brand.

This was built in Chicago where most of the stringed instrument builders were based.

The Larson Brothers also built some high end mandolins with this same body shape. One of those is shown in the Gruhn book listed above.

This was a student grade instrument and they pop up frequently on eBay. Yours has some family history and that should make it very special for you.

Tim McTigue
Jun-21-2008, 8:36am
Yours has some family history and that should make it very special for you.

Thanks very much, Mike, indeed it does (and is). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif In fact, my wife said the sound of it was one of the things that attracted her to me...

Tim McTigue
Jun-21-2008, 9:48am
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the coolest part was that I got to play it for grandpa on a subsequent visit, which must have been a thrill for him. With my brother on guitar, we did a riff on Duelling Banjos, which means that visit must have been in 1973. My playing even today isn't all that great, but it impresses folks who don't play. I'm mainly a guitarist. Grandpa passed on in 1975...

MikeEdgerton
Jun-21-2008, 1:45pm
I'm sure he was thrilled, I would have been. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif