PDA

View Full Version : Gibson tg-50

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:49am
I just got my first tenor guitar. It's a Gibson TG-50, full guitar body size, f-holes, currently tuned GDAE. I got it from a nice guy who was thinning the herd.

It's definitely a "Player's Instrument", and has lots of scratches and has had some repairs done, but it has a straight neck, and really plays like a dream. My friend had re-shaped the bridge and made a new nut for the previous owner, and I really have no complaints.

Here's some pics:

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:52am
The headstock:

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:54am
The neck:

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:55am
F-Hole...

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:57am
Sighting down the neck...

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 6:58am
The bridge (with reshaped top):

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 7:01am
Side View:

Larry S Sherman
Jun-20-2008, 7:06am
It's funny how an old instrument will teach you tunes...I was finding myself playing stuff I had forgotten that I knew.

Being new to this scale (I do have a shorter-scale tenor banjo), it felt funny at first switching between the TG and mandolin, but now it's starting to feel more natural.

The TG plays great, sounds really good, and is a lot of fun.

Larry

Here's a full-view:

Bernie Daniel
Jun-29-2008, 9:59pm
larrydata:Being new to this scale (I do have a shorter-scale tenor banjo), it felt funny at first switching between the TG and mandolin, but now it's starting to feel more natural.

The TG plays great, sounds really good, and is a lot of fun.

Nice old Gibson. Lucky find for you -- the older Gibsons seem always to bring at least $5-600 on eBay.

I agree TG's are fun to play -- and they are a GREAT workout for the little finger. Then there is the fun of when you switch back to the mandolin -- it seems like a toy at first.

Do you have trouble deciding where or how to place your arm to get support for your right hand? I miss the support of the mandolin arm rest.

Larry S Sherman
Jul-04-2008, 7:32am
the older Gibsons seem always to bring at least $5-600 on eBay.

"At least" is right...a TG-50 in better condition is worth between $1200-$1600. I commonly see Harmony's in the $500-$600 range, but not Gibsons-at least not the vintage ones. Here is an example (http://secure.elderly.com/vintage/names/gibson-tg-50-tenor-guitar-(c.1951)--80U-2134.htm) from Elderly of the same model/year guitar.

Do you have trouble deciding where or how to place your arm to get support for your right hand? #I miss the support of the mandolin arm rest.

I was a guitar player first, so I don't really have an issue with right hand support. My upper arm contacts the sied of the lower bout, and I have a floating hand position anyway so it's not a problem for me.

Larry