PDA

View Full Version : Pettine, Bickford Methods

Don Grieser
Feb-05-2004, 12:14pm
I recently found one of the Bickford books. I would like to obtain the full sets of his method and the Pettine method series. Can anybody help me out? Does anyone know the copyright status of these? If I can't find them, is there a modern mandolin method series that is comparable in print now available from Plucked String? TIA.

Don in New Mexico

margora
Feb-05-2004, 1:43pm
In theory, you can email Norman Levine at Plucked String and request a copy of the Pettine method (all seven volumes, I think, I am not sure what his source is), even though this is not listed on the website. You can order Calace (in German) or Ranieri from Norm as well, or directly from www.trekel.de. Personally, I like the modern German exercise books (Wilda-Husgen, Troester).

Eugene
Feb-05-2004, 2:14pm
I believe Norman's source for Pettine's method is the Pettine estate via the benevolent facilitation of Richard Walz.

On Bickford's vols. 2-4, I put a great deal into tracking them down and negotiating to swap for bad xerographic images that were missing several pages. I would much rather buy an original printing (increasingly rare and pricey...I don't think I've ever seen vol. 4 available for sale) or see them reissued. There was a brief push to get Carl Fischer to reissue Bickford's vols. 2-4 a year or few ago, but Fischer was essentially deaf to the limited plea generated by a very limited demand.

Don Grieser
Feb-05-2004, 3:01pm
I emailed Norman and asked him about the Pettine books. He said he didn't have any and didn't know when he would ever get any in again.

RSW
Feb-05-2004, 4:20pm
I'll arrange for Norman to get some more copies of this method, give me a couple of weeks.

Richard

p.s. Look out for Abt's method as well, it is very good. You can get some of the text out of the biography that has just been released.