PDA

View Full Version : Brw #81

old9600
Jun-17-2008, 10:47pm
BRW #81 arrived several weeks ago and she plays beautifully. #It has a Red Spruce top, Red Maple back/sides, 5 ply binding, varnish finish and Elite tuners. # The action is perfect as is the overall feel of the instrument. #The tone is warm, rich and round, just like I requested. #Sort of reminds me of a Red Diamond I played several years ago. #In lieu of the Bobelock case, I ordered an Ameritage case from Elderly, a wise substition.

This is not an instrument you will see on the classifieds in 12 months because I will be keeping it a long, long time.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/old9600/BRW03.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/old9600/BRW02.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/old9600/BRW01.jpg

Jonathan James
Jun-18-2008, 5:24am
Wow, nice looking mando. Ben's fit & finish work is on-par with anyone out there. Congrats and enjoy!

mandopluker
Jun-18-2008, 5:35am
John,

Man alive that is true to Ben's work -VERY nice mandolin! Congrats on your new mando!

Skip Kelley
Jun-18-2008, 6:32am
Awesome looking mandolin! Ben is a great luthier! It sounds like you have a mandolin that you just can't wait to play! Congratulations!!

Bill Van Liere
Jun-18-2008, 8:50am
That's a fine looking mando there ole96. I play BRW 51, which is also Red Spruce/varnish. After two years of regular playing my instrument is still developing (more of a thunk sound) so enjoy the ride.

johnM
Jun-18-2008, 3:45pm
I just got BRW 79 from another cafe member and honestly I was a little intimidated by the instrument. I've had many, way too many mandolins but this is a "real" one. Its just a great piece of art. It sounds fantastic, plays easy etc. And best of all the varnish still smells fresh.

Now all I have to do is add talent..........

LKN2MYIS
Jun-18-2008, 5:36pm
Stunning looking instrument.

Ben's something else. Flawless looking and impeccable sounding instruments.

And I agree - you'll keep it a looooooooong time.

Mike Snyder
Jun-18-2008, 8:53pm
Ben had a vendors table at Winfield last year, with one of each of his models of mando. Flawless build quality. I hope he (and all of you) make it to Walnut Valley this Sept. It's the biggest pickin' party in the world.

Mark Walker
Jun-18-2008, 9:08pm
John - I concur with all the others! Great looking mandolin! Beautiful from top to bottom, stem to stern. Congratulations and enjoy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

old9600
Jun-18-2008, 9:29pm
That's a fine looking mando there ole96. I play BRW 51, which is also Red Spruce/varnish. After two years of regular playing my instrument is still developing (more of a thunk sound) so enjoy the ride.
I hear a little, round "Thunk" tone in this instrument. It is a bit sorrowful in a most endearing way. The thunk tone is far better to have than a sharp edge sound that barks in your face, like some mandos possess.

Bigtuna
Jun-18-2008, 9:49pm
If I like mandolins with a v-neck profile (I really liked the Collings MT's and MF's I've played) would I like the neck on BRW's?

Chris Biorkman
Jun-18-2008, 9:54pm
If I like mandolins with a v-neck profile (I really liked the Collings MT's and MF's I've played) would I like the neck on BRW's?
I'm sure Ben could make a neck shape to suite your taste. Really nice looking mandolin, by the way. I've never played one of his instruments, but they look so clean. Congrats!

old9600
Jun-18-2008, 9:56pm
My mandolin does not have a "V" neck, it is rounded. However, I bet that Ben has made plenty of mandos with a "V" neck. Ask him.

Salty Dog
Jun-19-2008, 8:41pm
Both of my BRWs have "V" shaped necks and I prefer them to the round or "U" shapes. #As mentioned above, Ben's mandolins are very comfortable players.

good_ol_al_61
Jun-20-2008, 12:27pm
Simple Elegence.

I have admired Ben's work for years. I've had the priviledge of playing two of his F's in the past and I am still impressed.

old9600
Jun-30-2008, 8:18pm
I want to add one last story to this thread. I just learned that BRW #80, which was built at the same time as my #81, happened to be for another customer of the repairman/luthier I use, Joe Mendel. Joe got us together this past weekend and we reunited the two instruments that were separated at birth. They sure do look like siblings.

old9600
Jun-30-2008, 8:20pm
Another pic.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-30-2008, 8:32pm
What a nice family reunion. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brandon Flynn
Jun-30-2008, 9:11pm
Very Nice.

Mastertone08
Jun-30-2008, 9:13pm
I'm the very pleased owner of #80 - Ben's A-style mandolin or an model MA-H2 in BRW speak. And, I couldn't be happier with it. The red spruce top with sugar maple back, sides and neck provide that harsh up-front sound that I enjoy hearing in classic bluegrass mandolins.

Having retired recently - I've played #80 a lot in the past two months. I like the sound behind the instrument and it projects equally well. The mando really pops and doesn't mush out when pushed hard.

Good things are already happening to the tone and response. Ben says wait a year but and we are moving in that direction already. I test the waters by feeling vibrations at the top of the peghead and they are achangin'.

Ben designed an abbreviated nugget-type fingerboard extension at my request. I prefer it over a scooped florida-type extension or the standard BRW extension. I chose Ben's new bridge design for both aesthetics and performance. #80 has a nitro finish, James tailpiece and Elite tuners. The peghead has the smaller old style grommets.

#81 is a fine F-style instrument. The red spruce and red maple look great together. The gold hardware and five-ply binding really set it off. And, the varnish, of course. It's definitely a winner in the tone department too.

I'm already working with Ben on an encore which pretty much says it all for me.

Chip Booth
Jun-30-2008, 9:33pm
Ben designed an abbreviated nugget-type fingerboard extension at my request.
I was going to comment on the two different fingerboard extensions, but that solves the riddle. Very nice looking mandolins!

Chip

Salty Dog
Jun-30-2008, 9:46pm
Ben has several fingerboard ending styles. ##61 has what he calls the "W" end, which is a fancy way of chopping it off as I didn't want anything close to a fingerboard extension. #I hate pick click, which I get when I play #12 which has Ben's "faux" (scooped with imitation frets) extension. #Bottom line; Ben will make what you want.