PDA

View Full Version : 1917 gibson tenor on ebay

Bernie Daniel
Jun-01-2008, 8:49am
There is a 1917 (apparently) Gibson tenor guitar on eBay. #Seems on decent shape assuming the neck is straight. Anyone have experience with this model?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1917-The-Gibson-Acoustic-Tenor-Guitar-Ser-8774_W0QQitemZ330240337248QQihZ014QQcategoryZ330

25QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">1917 Gibson Tenor</a>

goaty76
Jun-02-2008, 1:37am
That Gibson tenor looks to be from the late 20's or early 30's.

Phil

Bernie Daniel
Jun-02-2008, 6:08am
goaty76: That Gibson tenor looks to be from the late 20's or early 30's.

Thanks for the comment -- I was thinking 20's also but I know a lot less about tenors than regular guitars and mandolins.

I really do not think the 6-string Gibson flattops of that era were the leaders of the industry. Ever play on one of those Gibson tenors from that period?

danb
Jun-02-2008, 7:28am
It's almost certainly 8774X with an unreadable last digit. The inlay style and flat top with wide soundhole place it in the right range for that serial

Charles E.
Jun-04-2008, 8:12pm
years ago I had one, circa 1927, that was a grade above the one on ebay. It had a sweet woody tone and was kind of Quiet sounding. I would choose it over the later ones where Gibson stuck tenor necks on fullsize bodies.

Charley

Bernie Daniel
Jun-04-2008, 9:07pm
Charles E: I would choose it over the later ones where Gibson stuck tenor necks on fullsize bodies. #

Thanks for the insight.

Interesting that you mention that. #I think that know where I could get a good price on a mid-70's Gibson Heritage (rosewood body I think) that has had the neck broken. #

I was thinking this would be a good beginning wood working project to make a tenor neck for it (either from scratch or from modifying a 6-string neck). #The idea was to get a powerful booming tenor -- but maybe that is not such a great idea?

I suppose it depends on what you are going to do with it?

I'm new to the tenor so I will guess it is more of a melody instrument most of the time instead of rhythm like a regular geee-tar.

Charles E.
Jun-09-2008, 8:29pm
Bernie, a tenor guitar scale is just under 23 inches, so if you put it on a full size body the bridge ends up being too far foward, very close to the sound hole, the tone suffers as a result. Better to find a small parlor guitar body with a broken neck and try that. Good luck!

Charley

mikeyes
Jun-10-2008, 8:17pm
It's probably a 1928 or so since it has the extra bridge pin. I think that Gibson only did that for a year or so. I had a TB00 from that period which was a wonderful little instrument.

Bernie Daniel
Jun-17-2008, 5:13am
Charles E: ...a tenor guitar scale is just under 23 inches, so if you put it on a full size body the bridge ends up being too far foward, very close to the sound hole, the tone suffers..

Understood. #

I suppose a person could make a "long neck" tenor? #

It would be the regular guitar length but narrow like a tenor to accomadate 4 strings. #I wonder if you did that you could tune it down an octave to the mandocello range instead of the mandola? #That might be attractive as a rhythm insturment?

JEStanek
Jun-17-2008, 7:12am
Moved to eBay section.

Jamie

allenhopkins
Jun-17-2008, 11:54am
I own one, with the extra bridge pin (and what was that for?) and all. Nice little all-mahogany tenor. I appreciate the info dating it to the late '20's; I thought it was later vintage.