PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist

jim simpson
Jun-16-2008, 8:12pm
Last year I moved from the Philadelphia area to smalltown Wheeling, WV. I have had no responses from ads placed locally but when I place ads in Pittsburgh,(about an hour away) I usually get great responses. I haven't found anything to buy yet but have sold several instruments to folks willing to travel here. I really like Craigslist as it is simple, no fees, and the buyer can try before they buy. It doesn't reach the same large audience as Ebay but it does seem to work. Ideas or experiences?

Jim Garber
Jun-16-2008, 9:35pm
I like to sell on it as opposed to eBay. I usually meet in the local Starbuck's parking lot. The buyer gets to examine the merchandise and hands over cash. Done. Better quality mandolins I usually sell here at the Cafe but some other stuff esp guitars work quite well on craigslist.

Chiledog
Jun-17-2008, 9:47am
I troll CL in Austin, at least twice a day. #I have scored some really good deals, mostly by being patient, and waiting for whatever I happen to be looking for...which in this case can mean anything from studio equipment to instruments and anything musical related in between. #I picked up a mint SM81 for $130 with case. #I also scored a mint AKG D112 with case for $100 both mics over half price, and a mint SM57 for $50. #The owner was so happy I wanted all three mics he gave quality cables for each mic for free. #As a buyer, I think the most important thing is patience and waiting for that deal to pop up, and when you see it, seize the moment, don't hesitate.

Since I live by the philosophy "he who dies with the most toys wins" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #I have no experience selling on CL.

Todd

BlueMountain
Jun-17-2008, 7:04pm
My biggest success was a Vega bowlback for $650 that I resold for $1800. But I drove 8 hours round trip to pick it up and paid cash. You just don't know who these people are. In this case it was a very nice woman who was making a big profit over what she'd paid for it and was entirely happy.

But I sent a guy in Austin $350 six weeks ago for a rare old mandolin that hasn't shown up yet. First time I asked where it was, he gave me a good excuse, but now he doesn't answer my e-mails. Down the drain.

JeffD
Jun-17-2008, 9:15pm
Since I live by the philosophy "he who dies with the most toys wins" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #I have no experience selling on CL.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jun-18-2008, 7:29am
I have had some unpleasant experiences selling on Craigslist.

Compared to ebay, I have gotten more tirekickers and timewasters. Guys say they're interested, meet up to play the instrument, and then offer one half of the asking price after wasting half an hour.

My advice would be: NEVER let anyone near your home, meet up somewhere else. Make sure they know the price is firm and if they plan to make a lowball offer just not to bother.

BlueMountain
Jun-18-2008, 8:17am
Hmmm. Useful advice, 527. Thanks.

Charles Johnson
Jun-18-2008, 10:14pm
CL is a mixed bag. I've had no success selling but have bought some good stuff. No mandos as yet but in the last few months scored a 67 Gibson Hummingbird, a 70's Sho Bud double neck pedal steel, and a 73 Marshall 100w head (hand wired) with a Sun 4x10 cab.

There is a retired guy locally who checks out CL several times a day and scoops up any decent acoustics. He doesn't even play, just buys to resell. As my work internet blocks CL I guess I am out of luck on those. #

Charles

Jim Garber
Jun-19-2008, 7:55am
I got my Calace mandola from eBay in Seattle area. Luckily I have a friend out there who knows instruments and who was willing to meet up with the guy, check out the mandola, pay this guy in cash and then pack and ship it to me.

The main problem is there is no recourse for remote transactions like the Cafe and even eBay. I usually sell the lowend stuff on CL and keep better mandolins for the Cafe and everything else for eBay or other online outlets.

Greg Stec
Jun-20-2008, 9:00pm
I bought my 1912 Gibson mandola from a posting on the Phoenix, AZ CL. #I live in Baltimore. #I was nervous to say the least. #I never before bought anything with that much $$ without trying it out first. #Came out OK.

Greg Stec
Jun-20-2008, 10:02pm
OOPS!! The mandola.

Alex Fields
Jun-21-2008, 2:06am
I've never used it to buy or sell instruments but lately I've been using it to look for an apartment in Boston...haven't found one yet but it's the most useful resource I know of for that purpose.

John Hill
Jun-21-2008, 5:55am
I stumbled across quite a deal there so it can be done but sometimes you have to do a lot of looking.

Andrew DeMarco
Jun-21-2008, 6:34am
It's also good for posting jobs:)

jim simpson
Jun-25-2008, 10:16pm
Today was an interesting day for a Craigslist sale. I've been on a tear lately selling stuff to aquire a new (used) 2nd mandolin. A fellow who lives 1 1/2 hrs. away wanted to purchase the instrument I had listed (Fender Roland ready Strat with GR30 Roland synth). He told me he was scheduled to go into the hospital for a procedure and wasn't supposed to drive. He was trying to get someone to drive him here but wasn't succesful. He then asked me if I knew of someone or myself who was willing to bring it to him, he would pay $75.00 on top of the purchase price. A friend (who is currently out of work) stopped by me store today. I asked if he wanted to deliver it for me for the $75.00 fee. He agreed to do it, stating that his car gets 40 mpg so it was worthwile to him. My friend delivered it, collected the purchase price and his delivery fee and all went well. It was certainly not the usual way things are done but after my conversations with the gentleman, I felt pretty confident that the deal would go well.

bikebum
Jun-28-2008, 12:35pm
My results with CL in Austin has been less than spectacular as far as I'm concerned. I've sold a few things but most of the responses are, What's the least amount you will take? and I can buy it for less elsewhere. It seems that potential scam contacts far outnumber all the others, with a lot of them being out of state.

When someone is told "Cash only, will not ship.. must be picked up in person", you would think that they knew what it meant.

Jerry

acousticphd
Jul-05-2008, 6:12pm
I've had some success selling instruments (one mandolin, several guitars) on Nashville Craigslist. However, what I didn't expect to find is that a lot of people from outside the the local area find your ads by Googling Craigslist, including quite a few obvious scam offers. *Lots* of folks replying once, but then never heard from again. It took at least several weeks of reposting my ads, but eventually I had some luck.

Jim
Jul-05-2008, 6:26pm
I just scored a fanatic Sailboard with mast, 2 booms and 4 sails in excellent condition on CL Colo springs for $125.00.
It's not a musical instrument but it is a great deal. For mandolin content I have written a song about sailing although a mandolin part didn't work out for it. I do play my beater mandolin I got from ebay for $19.00 while I'm resting on the beach between rides.

Tom Mullen
Jul-08-2008, 1:50pm
I just picked a 3/4 size acoustic bass fiddle for a low price; I have sold a Martin Guitar D 28 and sold some recording equip. I have not had a problem, as I deal only face to face.

minkus
Jul-08-2008, 2:08pm
I have the following for sale on Denvers Craigslist if anybodies interested. #

<See Moderator's notice below:>
Ebay, online auctions, Cafe Classifieds: while discussing online auctions or the classifieds is permitted, posting personal transactions for self-promotion is prohibited. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=23&t=13100)