PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien mandolins

Ken Olmstead
Jun-16-2008, 7:53pm
Apparently Jack O'Brien built a mandolin that was used in the recording of O Brother. I have not found any photos of one and my search of the board yielded nothing. Anyone playing one, pictures....

DryBones
Jun-16-2008, 8:02pm
I use to have a photo of "The JAG" but can't seem to find it right now.

Larry Simonson
Jun-16-2008, 10:56pm
I have one of his A models (He only built 3 A's but many F's) and it is a 'Never Sell This One' instrument. It is very difficult to describe the tone and especially the power of any mandolin including this one, but to my ears and many who have heard it, it's very special.

Ken Olmstead
Jun-17-2008, 10:45am
Newton - how about some photos of the A model??

Larry Simonson
Jun-17-2008, 12:26pm
Sorry Tenorbanjoguy, I don't have photo of my O'brien A model though I should try to get some before too long.

Have a look at the artwork on Jesse Brock's "Kickin' Grass" CD. There are several photos of his O'Brien F and lots of great mando playing on the CD.

palosfv3
Jul-26-2011, 2:17pm
Thought I would bump this one back up to the top. I had Jack build an F model for me in 86. Are there any others out there that have one of his F models ? I had some pics laying around the office but need to find them to post.

palosfv3
Nov-19-2011, 5:57pm
Sorry for the delay in posting these pics. It surprises me that no pictures of Jacks work exist here on the Cafe .

Stephen Cagle
Nov-19-2011, 6:33pm
SHARP looking F. I love the dark tobacco finish. I also really like the end of the fret board. For some strange reason you just don't see many of his mandolins. I don't know why. If it sounds as good as it looks then you got yourself a nice little cannon there. Thanks for the pic's.

palosfv3
Nov-19-2011, 8:00pm
Sometime in the early 80's Jack visited Germany and in his travels found small stash of 100 plus year old European spruce in an old barn. The top of this mandolin is carved from one of these boards . It has a 3 piece neck with radiused fret board , maple sides and back. I lost the hearing in my right ear in the mid 90's and have a hard time describing how it sounds . I would say it has great range up and down the fretboard and holds its own in a crowd. I haven't played it outside very often but when it has been out it has received great comments .
In 1985 Charlie Brown who played with " Buck,Stove and Range " , a bluegrass band from central Indiana , heard Jim Gidreau playing an O'Brien when he was playing up here in Chicago. I was looking for a better mandolin but wasn't thrilled about what was available at the time. Charlie suggested contacting Jack and the things set in place a couple of weeks later.
Jack was a pleasure to work with and I would strongly recommend him if your thinking of a custom built mandolin.
He has also confirmed he also likes his flyfishing.

Oh By the way does anybody happen to know if Charlie is still hiding in Indiana ?

palosfv3
Jan-21-2013, 6:00pm
Just for giggles I thought I bump this thread back to the top to see if anything has changed over the last year or so.

jim simpson
Jan-21-2013, 8:08pm
Here's a picture of my friend, Rich Bernardin, from Lehigh Valley, PA with his blonde O'Brien. He's had it for many years.
I think the inlay on the fingerboard extension may be a standard feature.