PDA

View Full Version : 1924 blonde a4 snakehead

MML
Feb-26-2008, 6:02pm
Has anyone seen the #ebay listing for the above mentioned?
Whats your take? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

jefflester
Feb-26-2008, 6:10pm
This one? (http://cgi.ebay.com/1925-Gibson-A4-Mandolin-Shakehead-Very-RARE_W0QQitemZ250219824824)

Always helps to include a link so people know what you are talking about.

stevem
Feb-26-2008, 6:19pm
It gets a 10 on the scam-o-meter. 0 feedback. Seller states: "We have moved in a new location so please contact me prior bidding for shipping and payment details!" Note the sloppy English. Translation: email me, and then I'll reel you in outside the ebay process.

Remember, photos and fancy descriptions are easy to cut and paste.

mandolirius
Feb-26-2008, 6:49pm
I like how it's listed as a "shakehead". I'd be giving my head a shake too:

1925 Gibson A4 Mandolin Shakehead Very RARE

Jim Garber
Feb-26-2008, 9:37pm
I am not so sure that this guy is a scammer -- innocent (sort of) until proven guilty. I usually do a google image search for the item to see if the listing has images swiped from dealer's sites or other eBay listings. Then I email the seller to get some more pics. Assuming they reply with additional ones, I would ask for specific ones with angles that they did not send or parts previously unphotographed.

If the seller is forthcoming with those -- esp if it were a potentially high-ticket item -- I would ask to speak to him/her on the phone. If I were suspicious, I might ask if my cousin, who lives pretty close, come by to take a look. If it is a scam then the seller would hem and haw on that one usually.

In any case, there are ways to detect scams, if you are careful.

MML
Feb-26-2008, 9:51pm
Interesting thoughts everyone. If it is legit, someone may snag a very special instrument.

woodwizard
Feb-26-2008, 10:19pm
It does look very nice and almost too good to be true. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jim Garber
Feb-26-2008, 10:45pm
It is hard to tell from the one picture if it was refinished. That would affect the vintage value of it considerably tho it might still be a killer mandolin.

I wrote to the seller to see if he/she could send or post additional pictures.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-26-2008, 11:03pm
The owner of the instrument in this ad just contacted me as follows, below. I know this individual and this is the definitive answer on whether this is a scam or not. They asked their name not be used and I'm respecting that request.

---------------------

Just thought I'd let you know that the mandolin referred to in the General Mandolin Discussions section of the message board under the topic "1924 blonde A4 snakehead" is a mandolin which I own and is in my possession (I didn't even get it on ebay either and I've had it for awhile). So you can certainly let those interested parties know that you have it from a reliable source that this definitely is a scam. I also gave ebay this info earlier today, before it became a topic and hopefully it will be removed shortly.

atetone
Feb-26-2008, 11:13pm
Glad that is cleared up. I was hoping that no one from the Cafe was bidding on it.
I used to email all of the bidders on scams to let them know but you can't do that anymore on those "private" auctions.
Too bad.

Jim Garber
Feb-26-2008, 11:22pm
Good! Excellent work!

Gary Hedrick
Feb-27-2008, 9:06am
Well thanks for that info....I wrote the seller and got a picture of the bridge....the back and a picture of a embossed seal on the case.....I asked for a phone number and more pictures and nothing.....

Ah there is no such thing as a free lunch......

Tom C
Feb-27-2008, 9:14am
Besides the confirmation by Scott, $760.00 No reserve -right away says something.

jefflester
Feb-27-2008, 12:17pm
This listing (250219824824) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

woodwizard
Feb-27-2008, 1:05pm
The things that all of the members seem to do to protect one another here is one of the reasons that this is such a good/GREAT! site and to be a part of. Everyone should be proud. Thanks

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2008, 2:24pm
This listing (250219824824) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
Ironically, I got an email from eBay saying not to deal with this seller. Then I got a few photos from him/her. Then I checked the site and found the same notice.

thunderfingers
Feb-27-2008, 7:59pm
I asked the seller to send some pics of the back and the lable and asked to set up a viewing in Florida where its for sale. #Still wating for the answer? Rember anything to good to be true is to good The seller emailed me back and said it was a missunder standing on Ebays part.?? Anyway it is a great looking mando and I bet it sounds sweet. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif