PDA

View Full Version : Beware ebayers

allenhopkins
Jun-15-2008, 8:07am
I saw this. #Most of the description is lifted off a website, though it's hard to take exception to it. #An A-2Z for less than $300 is ridiculous. #Maybe missing the bargain of the century, but --

"If it's too good to be true, it isn't true."

And contacting the seller by e-mail directly, not through eBay, is also a red flag. #Perhaps someone's going to get a great mandolin for a song, but my bet is that someone's going to be out $300.

Bill Snyder
Jun-15-2008, 8:56am
Bid is up to $1625.00.

morristownmando
Jun-15-2008, 9:14am
The starting price of that mandolin was 99 cents and the auction is only 24 hours my bet would be someone is bumping up the price on purpose.99 cents get real!!!!

Jim Garber
Jun-15-2008, 9:18am
direct link to this eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260251543724)

Jim
Jun-15-2008, 9:22am
A gmail account for "work" is a bit questionable too!

johnl
Jun-15-2008, 10:44am
He has a link to a 'same style' mandolin in the mandolin archive. It's so similar that the serial numbers match. An amazing coincidence!

Zigeuner
Jun-15-2008, 11:03am
It sure looks strange. A 24 hour auction shows that the seller (or hacker) wants to get his money and get out. That's very unusual and suspicious in the first place.

It's also unusual that somone who uses the ID "Guitarbanjoman" would have made a career out of selling ladys' purses and toy horses.

And starting an auction for such an instrument, assuming it were really his to sell, with .99 cents and no reserve is a tip-off. I would stay away.

morristownmando
Jun-15-2008, 11:19am
He has a link to a 'same style' mandolin in the mandolin archive. It's so similar that the serial numbers match. An amazing coincidence!
YEAH THOSE SERIAL NUMBERS REALLY PROVE THAT THIS THING IS A 100% SCAM.THE REAL MANDOLIN WITH THOSE SERIAL NUMBERS IN THE ARCHIVE IS A MUCH CLEANER PIECE.TWO DIFFERENT GIBSON MANDOLINS WITH THE SAME EXACT NUMBERS.SOMEBODY IS PROBABLY GOING TO GET SCREWED OUT OF ABOUT $2000 THERES ABOUT 20 MINUTES LEFT AND ITS ABOVE $1800.THIS IS A DISGRACE TO PEOPLE TRYING TO SELL VINTAGE MANDOLINS!!!!!

Bill Snyder
Jun-16-2008, 5:39pm
I asked the lister a question about the mandolin and got this response.

"I'm not currently selling a Mandolin! I can't get into my EBay account, I think someone has hacked into it. It might be a scam! Please be a care full buyer!"

Since then the listing has been removed.