PDA

View Full Version : Review of cba event at grass valley

Treblemaker
Jun-12-2008, 10:54am
Mandolin Cafe Sponsor’s CBA All Bill Monroe Performance with John Reishman and Butch Waller
Ted Silverman © 2008, All Rights Reserved

John Reischman and Butch Waller put on a terrific; all Bill Monroe set last evening, Wednesday, June 11th at Vern’s, a wonderful sounding side stage at the CBA Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley, California. This show was sponsored by Mandolin Café and was a terrific pre-festival appetizer that featured hot picking, fine ensemble vocals and good humor.

The band showcased the hot twin mandolin talents of the aforementioned John and Butch with support from one of the funniest fiddler’s around, Paul Shelasky, with Jim Nunally on guitar, Nick Hornbuckle on banjo and Trisha Gagnon on bass. This was a slightly altered version of the Jaybirds and they produced an entertaining 70 minutes from the Monroe catalog along with a few requisite humorous anecdotes from the annals of Monroe lore.

The Set list:
Big Mon, The Dead March, Pike Country Breakdown, The Watson Blues, On the Old Kentucky Shore, Get Up John, Highway of Sorrow, Bluegrass Stomp, You'll Find Her Name Written There, Lonesome Moonlight Waltz, Roanoke, E: Bluegrass Breakdown

The performance kicked off with a gracious introduction from John, who thanked Mandolin Café for sponsoring the set. John and Butch then tore into a hot twin mandolin rendition of “Big Mon,” with Paul Shelasky taking a fine turn on fiddle. A more obscure selection, “The Dead March,” was introduced by John with a reference to the fact that Monroe had actually picked up this instrumental from his legendary Uncle Pen. Following this Reischman left the stage leaving Butch Waller to lead the band through a three gems including a hot “Pike Country Breakdown,” a more subdued but sublime rendition of “The Watson Blues, and the classic, “On the Old Kentucky Shore.”

Following these well received selections John Reischman returned to the stage and explained that the next number, “Get Up John, “ was derived from an earlier tune called “Sleepy Eyed John” and utilized a special open tuning. The band was put through its paces and displayed an ability to follow it’s leader very closely.

Among the humorous Monroe anecdotes, Butch Waller recounted an experience from the 1970’s in which his band, High Country opened for Bill Monroe at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. Butch happened to be back stage when “Banana” (aka Lowell Levinger) of the Youngbloods, who happened to be recording the show, came by to ask Bill to sign a Reel to Reel can with some duct tape on it. Being gracious, Bill asked him his name and received the simple reply: “Banana.” Bill asked him if he had a last name and received the reply: “just Banana.” So Bill signed the can with “Best Wishes, - Bill Monroe.” Butch then kicked off the classic, “Highway of Sorrow,” with band ably abetting his effort. (Butch)

A fine “Bluegrass Stomp,” followed with Butch giving it a full melodic workout. Even Trisha Gagnon got a break on this classic blues. Kudos are deserved for Paul Knight who did a terrific job with the sound at Vern’s.
The next selection was given over to the fine guitarist, Jim Nunally who delivered a duet with Trisha on Monroe’s, “You’ll Find Her Name Written There,” with Reishman taking a plaintive break on mandolin.

John introduced the next selection, “Lonesome Moonlight Waltz,” by recalling that Butch Waller was one of the first guys he’d ever heard play traditional bluegrass mandolin as a kid growing up in Ukiah, CA. At that time he owned a High Country Record produced by Banana. The cover depicted the band wearing vintage western shirts and holding vintage, pre-war instruments which intrigued this mandolin master in his youth. Before kicking off this mandolin duet Butch offered that it was a dedication, “ for all my mandolin students who worked so hard to learn it.

A few more chuckle-worthy anecdotes followed including one from Paul Shelasky who explained that while on tour in New York, Bill Monroe was given a bag full of bagels. It seems Bill had never encountered a bagel before and as hunger overtook him he finally decided to try one. He immediately spit it out stating, “that’s the awfullest donut I ever did eat! Tastes of an onion and not a bit sweet.”

Reischman than recounted another tail quoting Tony Trischka in reference to Bill Monore. He stated at an IBMA event that, “bluegrass has to hold on to its tradition, but also has to be open to innovation.” It seems Bill Monroe was open to innovation and even penned a tune written for mandolin and trombone called “Trombolin .” Yet Bill Monroe had to draw the line somewhere. When asked to record, back in the day, with the Nashville Brass, Bill was quoted (in a perfect, deadpan imitation) as saying, “you can take those country bugles back to the football field"

Following the ensuing chuckles John then re-introduced the band and kicked into a blazing twin mando version of “Roanoke.”

Vern’s emcee, local mando whiz, David Zimmerman (of San Francisco’s own “Homespun Rowdy,”) managed to bring the band back out for an encore of “Bluegrass Breakdown,” which seemed to satisfy the audience with its trilling crescendos.

This proved to be a terrific way to kick off the 33rd annual CBA Father’s Day Bluegrass Festival and provided the assemblage with a nutritious auditory helping of classic bluegrass before the masses assembled for the big show to follow.

Big thanks are go out to John and Butch, the Mandolin Café, the CBA, Vern’s Stage and Sound Staff and the supporting cast who put on this tasty pre-festival treat.

Pics to follow at some point - but I write from a Starbucks in Grass Valley....

mandopete
Jun-12-2008, 7:48pm
Excellent, excellent - encore!

cooper4205
Jun-12-2008, 8:26pm
nice write-up, wish I could've went. Maybe I can get the newspaper I work at to send me next year (I wish http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif) - I tell ya though, Butch Waller is one mandolin player that doesn't get the recognition he deserves; he's one of my favorites and a monster Monroe style picker.

fredfrank
Jun-12-2008, 11:35pm
Wow, I almost feel like I was there!

Gerry Tenney
Jun-13-2008, 1:06pm
Thanks ,Ted for thie detailed account. wish I could of been there.
Gerry Tenney

Terry W. Harvey
Jun-13-2008, 8:54pm
We're going tonight to see Dan Tyminski's band as well as others. Basically spending all weekend there, we live in Auburn, a 30 min ride. Will share some photos.

Kate D.
Jun-14-2008, 2:13am
Wow, Ted! That was such a great accounting of the evening. I was there, and it was one power packed set, but I could not have shared the evening with the all the detail you did. I have to say, it truly seemed that everyone on and off the stage thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

I want to thank Mandolin Cafe for their sponsorship of the concert. It was a terrific ending to music camp (Butch and John both taught there this year) and kickoff to the the festival itself.

Treblemaker
Jun-16-2008, 12:43am
Cafe....
I just returned from Grass Valley and a fine festival it was. #Huuuuuge kudos and congrats to the CBA. #Also a very emphatic thanks to Dave Zimmerman (San Francisco based mandolin player and host of the new and very excellent venue called Vern's (named for the late, great Vern Williams)) who presented some terrific, less famous bluegrass talent throughout the weekend.

Here are a couple of shots snapped at Vern's of last Wednesday's special concert with John Reishman and the Jaybirds with Butch Waller and Paul Shelaskey - a fine set of music presented by the Mandolin Cafe....

(Nikon D-80 w/ Nikkor 18-200 3.5 VR lens)
Pics by me...

More images I've snapped from the 33rd Annual CBA Father's Day Festival will soon be posted on my little slice O' the Web at http://www.WorldWideTed.com.

Enjoy and keep on Pickin'

-Treblemaker

Treblemaker
Jun-16-2008, 12:44am
And Dave Zimmerman.... Hosting Vern's.
(Fine Job Dave!)

duuuude
Jun-16-2008, 12:05pm
Nice shots Ted, Verns was right behind the booth I was helping with and I couldn't believe the caliber of players showing up there. What an incredible introduction to this festival, I may just become a regular, never heard so many beautiful harmonies in one place.

Paul Statman
Jun-16-2008, 12:34pm
It's when I read/hear of things like this that I really miss No. Cal. From there I would drive to the Grass Valley festivals from Berkeley. This So. Cal. scene is a no substitute.
I simply 'overshot' when I returned to California some years ago, and now LA has got me by the short and curly maple.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

f5loar
Jun-16-2008, 1:15pm
HUmmmmmm..... I see Butch is not playing his famous July 9th Loar. I wonder why? If ever a mandolin had the Big Mon sound that one has it. It's been with Butch since the 60's and I've never seen him without it. Why you do a Monroe tribute without it is beyond my comprehension.

Paul Statman
Jun-16-2008, 1:25pm
HUmmmmmm..... I see Butch is not playing his famous July 9th Loar. I wonder why? If ever a mandolin had the Big Mon sound that one has it. It's been with Butch since the 60's and I've never seen him without it. Why you do a Monroe tribute without it is beyond my comprehension.

LOL! Yup - "There's nowt so queer as folk", as they say up north (Yorkshire north, that is)..

Treblemaker
Jun-16-2008, 8:53pm
Here is a slide show gallery of a few of the bands I managed to catch at Vern's, plus a few special shots of Crooked Still with Laurie Lewis at the Pine Tree Stage.

Enjoy!!! (more to come too).

-Ted Silverman
http://www.worldwideted.com/photography.htm

ps: Butch was playing a really sweet Red Diamond Vintage F.

Treblemaker
Jun-16-2008, 10:02pm
I am but a rank beginner with an SLR.

For the real deal - check out the amazing Mike Melnyk's initial photo spread from Grass Valley.
This guy works a camera like John Reishman plays Mandolin:

http://mikemelnyk.com/grass_valley08

Enjoy....
TS

mandozilla
Jun-17-2008, 12:46am
It's when I read/hear of things like this that I really miss No. Cal. From there I would drive to the Grass Valley festivals from Berkeley. This So. Cal. scene is a no substitute.
I simply 'overshot' when I returned to California some years ago, and now LA has got me by the short and curly maple..

Hey mandopixie DawgEared,
You could have gone to the Huck Finn Jubilee in Victorville (75 miles from L.A.)- they had all the same big name bands as Grass Valley except Grasstown...BUT we had the Gibson Brothers, Randy Waller & the Country Gentlemen, the Dry Branch Fire Squad, Berline, Crary & Hickman and a reunion of the band "California" to boot. It was awesome! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandozilla
Jun-17-2008, 12:52am
I wish that Grass Valley and Huck Finn weren't on the same weekend so I could attend both. I suppose it's to make it worthwhile for a bunch of top bands to come this far west (2 festivals on the same weekend)? I want to go to Grass Valley next year but I just can't miss Huck Finn...I'm hooked. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif