PDA

View Full Version : Re-fretting and radiusing

idpeter
Jun-09-2008, 11:34pm
I recently purchased a '93 Bruce Webber signed Flat Iron A5. I really like the sound but cant stand the fingerboard extension which I intend to grind down. I have decided to refrett while I'm at it and would like to sand in a radius to the fret board.
My questions are:
1. What are the advantages / disadvantages of various sized fret wire? It currently has .081 wide and .035 Height....Standard mando wire is .065 wide and .035 high. or I could use some guitar wire at .084 wide by .039 high. Or should I try to find wire to match exactly the existing?

2. What is a good standard radius...not drastic but worth the effort of doing it?

sunburst
Jun-10-2008, 7:04am
Well, no answers, so...

The fret wire size is absolutely personal preference, there is no "better" size. There are those who prefer smaller (standard) wire and those who prefer larger wire, and they can give you perfectly good reasons why, but it simply comes down to personal preference.
Same with the radius. Some prefer a flat board, some prefer a slight arch, and some prefer a more pronounced arch.

My own preferences are "standard" wire and 7 1/4" radius. That's what I've settled on as a "standard" when I build, and most people like the feel very well. Frets wider than about .080" are too wide for mando, IMO.

french guy
Jun-10-2008, 7:26am
my own "standard" now is banjo fretwire .080 and compound radius , start at 7,5" , finish flat at the bridge .
And I would add that standard change like dress fashion for women ( very often ).
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif