PDA

View Full Version : Evan Marshall Duo-Style Method

margora
Jun-28-2004, 11:00am
Last week I attended AMGUSS (the American Mandolin and Guitar Summer School), held at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island, under the direction of Marilyn Mair. Each year AMGUSS features a guest artist. The guest this year was Evan Marshall. Evan performed twice (brilliantly, see below) and also held two workhsops. One of these was on his newly released "Duo Style A to Z: A Comprehensive Method for Solo Mandolin in Duo-Style, from Entry Level to Artist Level".
As the title implies, this is a method for duo style. There are three introductory chapters, followed by lessons #1-13 (there is an "intermezzo" between lessons #10 and #11). The book concludes with a complete version of Evan's "Joyful Variations on a Theme of Beethoven". The theme in question is the main one from the 9th Symphony. There is also a CD that contains all the exercises and the "Joyful Variations".
Although I have the book only for a short while, it is clear that it is extremely well done. The lessons are concise and the progression from lesson to lesson is very logical -- there is no doubt in my mind that, if one proceeds from start to finish as planned and is willing to work hard, a concert-level performance is possible. The method is very much designed to reproduce Marshall's particular version of duo-style, although there is enough flexibility to incorporate other elements if one wishes.
It is also clear that the method fills a MAJOR gap in the market. The Pettine method is, of course, an alternative, but obtaining a copy is difficult at best, and the musical examples in Pettine, as well as the arrangements are, in my opinion, very old fashioned. The other alternative (the way I learned, actually, to play duo style) is to use the exercises in Marga Wilden-Husgen and Gertrude Weyhofen's etude books, but the Marshall exercises are superior and -- more importantly -- there are far more of them. One (interesting) difference between Marshall and the alternatives is that Evan does not use left-hand pizz to play bass notes -- that is, he articulates all bass notes using a pick.
One topic the book does not really go into is devising one's own arrangements in duo style, but perhaps such will be forthcoming -- and one can learn a lot by working through the Beethoven example in any case.
The price at AMGUSS was $25.00. I do not know if this will be the direct mail order price or not, and I do not know if it includes postage. In any case, I believe that anyone who is interested in obtaining a copy can contact Evan directly at evan@emandolin.com.
As mentioned, Marshall gave two performances at AMGUSS. The first was entirely on solo mandolin, and was truly incredible -- indeed, as impressive as the technique is, what is more impressive is the overall musicality and musical intelligence, both at a very high level. I was especially impressed with his five "Caprices", intended to be for the mandolin what the Paganini is for the violin. The second performance was with the AMGUSS mandolin and guitar orchestra, the "Rondo" movement from the Hummell concerto. Great fun, and awe-inspiring cadenzas. Both performances featured his signature piece, the William Tell overture, which must be heard to be believed.

Jim Garber
Jun-28-2004, 11:46am
Interesting, Robert. Outside of the the use of more contemporary pieces, how would you characterize both Evan's style of playing and his style of teaching in his book. My main tutor is the Pettine which I have barely scratched the surface and a few Calace pieces which I am working on at the moment.

I also wonder why he does not use left hand pizzicato. It seems to me to be a useful effect to add a different color when used judiciously.

Of course, I have to get a copy of this method. I was not even aware of the German ones you mention.

Jim

RSW
Jun-28-2004, 11:59am
Evan uses a lot of left hand pizzicato but not so much in 'duo-style'. He uses a combination of pick strokes and pull-offs or hammer-ons (helped by his amplification system) when letting loose on rapid runs (scales). Pettine's method is dated (the material he uses) but the content for learning the technique is more than adequate. There is nothing really magical about 'duo-style' and I actually don't like the term because it has existed for centuries and, if you really want the best solo music with self-accompaniment, look no further than the solo sonatas/partitas of J.S. Bach for violin.

margora
Jun-28-2004, 12:03pm
Jim, I am not sure what you mean by "characterize" but, in any case, Marshall has an extremely fluid, very even tremolo, and great rhythmic accuracy. As a performer he seems prone to take more chances and is more dramatic, consequently then, say, his German counterparts. He has incredible left hand speed as well -- in this regard, the conception seems, to me, to derive from the violin (he was a violin major in college).

Regarding left-hand pizz, I asked him about this point at which point he noted that he does use it for certain melodic effects as a slur (the inspiration here is Dave Apollon), just not as a method of articulating bass notes. If I had to guess it might have to do with obtaining uniformity of sound (and attack) in the bass. On classical guitar it is very important, for example, that one's rest stroke sounds the same as one's free stroke. I don't really think it is possible to make left-hand pizz sound the same as a note plucked with a pick -- at least, I can't.

As for the Germans, it is not called "duo style" but rather "tremolo-staccato", the latter being the bass.

margora
Jun-28-2004, 12:08pm
Regarding RSW's comments, Evan used NO amplification whatsoever at AMGUSS. He was VERY loud sans amplification. Re: Pettine, my point here is not to debate the two methods but simply to make everyone aware that Evan's method is now available. Certainly one can learn duo style from Pettine or, as I did, from the German methods. I own all of these, and each is useful.

Alex Timmerman
Jun-28-2004, 12:17pm
Hello Margora,

Very interesting all!

I love the sound complexity of the Žduo styleŽ and there cannot be enough music for it. Great! I sure will contact mr. Evan Marshall and order his new book: "Duo Style A to Z.

Also do you know if his five "Caprices" for solo mandolin are published?

Best and thanks for informing us,

Alex

margora
Jun-28-2004, 1:35pm
Alex, I do not know if the "Five Caprices" are published, but I am sure that Evan does! Please report back what you find out.

Jim: one further comment on "style of teaching". Each lesson is focused on a single point (eg. Lesson #8 is on parallel thirds). The idea, as I understand it, is to break down the relevant technical details into steps that can be mastered "in order" as it were, before going onto the next step.

Jim Garber
Jun-28-2004, 2:16pm
Thanks, Robert.

You answered my question before I had a chance to rephrase it.

Jim

RSW
Jun-28-2004, 4:08pm
Robert,

I am happy to hear that Evan does play without the amp thing (I have never heard him perform without enhancement). I am sure that his book will have much greater impact with mandolin students in the USA and perhaps abroad than Pettine, Calace, Ranieri, Stauffer and other ancients from the past. Not to use left hand pizz because it is different than a pick stroke seems unnecessarily limiting. Even violinists mix it up all the time in violin 'duo-style' with their lefthand pizz. Keep us posted on any news of possible publication of his mandolin solos.

margora
Jun-28-2004, 6:42pm
Richard, to be clear, I don't know exactly why the method doesn't discuss left hand pizz. I am merely conjecturing. I could be completely wrong.

margora
Jun-30-2004, 9:22am
I heard back from Evan -- he's gotten some orders for which he is very happy! Keep them coming!

Jim Garber
Jun-30-2004, 9:29am
I heard back from Evan -- he's gotten some orders for which he is very happy! Keep them coming!
I had emailed him but haven't heard anything back. I will try him again.

Jim

margora
Jun-30-2004, 10:33am
Jim, fyi and everyong else: I'm sure he got the orders, it might take him a day or two to reply as he is just getting set up to process them.

Jim Garber
Jun-30-2004, 10:56am
I did hear from Evan. Here is the info:

Thank you for your inquiry. "Duo-Style A to Z" is available from me for $28 plus $5 shipping/handling. It is 40 pages long on card stock paper to eliminate visual bleed-through, spiral bound, and includes a CD of all the music in the book performed by me. Send a copy of this note and a check or money order for $33 payable to me, and I'll be happy to send you a copy of the book. My mailing address:

Evan Marshall
P.O.Box 5010
San Gabriel, CA# 91778-5010