PDA

View Full Version : Resonator

Marshall Stapleton
Jun-08-2008, 6:25pm
I posted a pic of my dog playing my resonator mando.Here are a couple of pics of same now i have got it back.
The "thinking" behind this was to combine a few mando projects in one i.e a resonator using some ideas from the great early resonators like moons and stars,secondly to approximate an f-type and also to use koa like Martin.
The top is a laminate of veneers with a nice piece of old flamed mahogany on top.The cover plate is padauk.
I think it turned out pretty well though i got the neck angle too low to start and had to reset.The scale length is longish at 360 mm and i used a smaller guitar cone -81/4" which seemed to fit better maybe a bit thin for a mando but has survived so far(about a year)with light strings.Incidentally i always use Newtone strings wound in the u.k by Malcolm Newton highest recommendation.
This is a good sounding loud instrument.
Cannot seem to get the back view up check www.myspace.com/marshallstapleton for more photos.

BlueMountain
Jun-09-2008, 8:43am
What you've done with this sun, moon, and stars motif is delightful. Note how in the large soundhole, there's the moon shape, night, a star, but the sun shining through the hole has made a sun of real sunlight on the inside of the instrument, a bit like a solar eclipse. Well done!

Marshall Stapleton
Jun-09-2008, 9:18am
thank you for your nice comments,i have to confess the sun was shining on my photographic efforts that day!
Marshall

Jim Garber
Jun-09-2008, 9:44am
The scale length is longish at 360 mm
My vintage National has a 15 inch / 381mm scale. I think they were trying to get maximum volume in those pre-electric days. Nice work on this one, Marshall. I love the moon and stars motif.

hoffmannia2k7
Jun-09-2008, 9:59am
that is a fine looking mandolin!

Gutbucket
Jun-09-2008, 10:38am
How do you like the Maple fingerboard? Does it change the tone of the mandolin? It looks nice, contrasting with the top.

mandroid
Jun-09-2008, 11:12am
Wooden cover over the reso cone is a refreshing change from the usual plated metal ones.

Somehow , Gut B. the tone/sound is coming from the resonator cone : bridge end ,
not the fingerboard material under the frets,

.. building another one with Ebony fingerboard is Encouraged, none the less..

Marshall Stapleton
Jun-09-2008, 12:04pm
thanks for the positive feedback you guys.
I really would not like to comment on the sound difference with fingerboard wood - i did it as stated for the contrast.I guess everything influences the sound in some way but predicting what does what is another story i reckon if it looks good it is going to sound good.Might build another someday.
Marshall