PDA

View Full Version : Visualization

Jonathan Peck
Jun-06-2008, 9:47am
I just had an interesting experience and I thought I might share it. My oldest daughter injured her foot two months ago. This precluded her from participating in her regular gymnastics practices and she missed four meets. She was finally cleared to practice one week before the state championships, unfortunately, she got sick and was not able to have a full practice until the day before the states.

She spent the last two months watching professional gymnasts on youtube performing at the highest levels. She spent her time visualizing her routines with perfect execution. We were just happy that she was able to participate, but we didn't have high expectations. What I witnessed was one of the most awesome displays of will and determination that I've even seen and she placed second over all.

I've read here many times to watch professional mandolinists on youtube and to emulate their technique. I highly recommend spending some time visualizing without your instrument in hand. The mind is a powerful tool.

farmerjones
Jun-06-2008, 10:42am
Congratulations! That's great!

Made my Friday. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

If i were to add: Not only to watch, but to think to yourself, "Yes, i can do that!"
Instead of watching in amazement, and shaking it off as impossible.

Hey, she watched, she studied, she executed, and succeeded. That's an outragously good thing.

Pete Martin
Jun-06-2008, 11:16am
Biofeedback techniques have been used in athletics for some time, but are useful in any skill. Research says the body cant tell the difference between a real experience and a very vividly imagined experience. How you visualize the details is key, try to see and feel everything.

I often sit down, close my eyes and imagine myself playing exactly like I want to, effortless with exactly the sound I want. I believe it has helped me play better.

Chip Booth
Jun-06-2008, 11:27am
I do this all the time, lying in bed at night and going over fingering, for example. Or while driving to work, or listening to a song I am learning to play, I imagine the chord changes. It's a regular part of my learning process and I am convinced it is a large part.

Chip

Paul Kotapish
Jun-06-2008, 12:05pm
I do a lot of mental "rehearsing." When I was touring a lot, it was a necessity, because actual down time for woodshedding was often at a premium. It won't replace physical rehearsal for keeping your chops crisp, but it will really help you overall performance, ability to master arrangements, set plans, etc. If I'm awake in bed and can't get to sleep, practicing a difficult tune mentally is a great way to unwind and get a better handle on the music.

There is plenty of research documenting the value of this in one's overall practice regimen, too.

250sc
Jun-06-2008, 12:53pm
Absolutely. I also use visualization when I have an injury that needs healing.

burcher
Jun-06-2008, 1:20pm
I remember learning about this concept in high school. The story was that 3 sets of folks were studied. The 3 groups were not athletes or basketball players. Group 1 shot basketball free throws for 6 weeks, practicing hard all the time. Group 2 did free throws when they felt like it (standardized somehow) and Group 3 did not actually shoot free throws but visualized doing it according to some regimen. The findings? Group 3 improved as much as or more than the first group after 6 weeks suggesting that visualization has some merit. I'm sure other studies were/have been done showing similar.

Jim MacDaniel
Jun-06-2008, 2:06pm
Good thread. Though I too used mental visualization technique in sports (esp. in my baseball and softball days), I #really never have used it for music. However, I think it could be helpful as a supplement to actual practice time, and thanks to this thread I think I'll try to find opportunities to apply it when I otherwise couldn't practice on an actual instrument.

On a similar note, I assume most ear-learners do an aural equivalent, by listening to the same tune over and over and over until we can hear every note in our head. (But the latter probably wouldn't help out in a session or jam very well, as most people would think you're more than a little kookie if you asked them to play along with the music in your head ;)

farmerjones
Jun-06-2008, 3:15pm
On a similar note, I assume most ear-learners do an aural equivalent, by listening to the same tune over and over and over until we can hear every note in our head. (But the latter probably wouldn't help out in a session or jam very well,
Well, maybe not directly, but say if you know fifty fiddle tunes and you hear a new one, chances are it's going to be akin to what you've already learned.

If i can't relate a new tune to what i've already learned it takes a bit longer to get it under my fingers. But that's good. That's the fun part.

Do you suppose visualization is akin to self-hypnosis?

Jonathan Peck
Jun-09-2008, 11:56am
Do you suppose visualization is akin to self-hypnosis?
It certainly can't hurt to have good positive thoughts, especially in stressful situations. Take golf for example, assuming that everyone in the field has good repeatable technical skills....some golfers have had some of the classic meltdowns of all time on the final hole on the final day of major tournaments, while others have had great success.

It's akin to practicing a break at home in your living room and then going to the jam and crashing and burning. The best advice I've ever gotten in this regard is to stop chopping a few measures before you take your break so that you can gather your thoughts.

BTW - Thanks farmerjones for the kind words. It was a great day.

Mental Floss
Jun-12-2008, 2:03pm
Self hypnosis and self visualization are closely related. Bothe are powerful tools, although like any tool must be used the right way.
I am certified in hypnosis and my teacher once told me,"Hypnosis is like fire....it can warm and protect us or...it can burn and scar you."
You must have the detail of exactly what you want in your head. That is why self visualization is usually more effective for the layperson to use. The fact that hypnosis is much more powerful than visualization is great but you better have a real pro adminstering the trance and the message better be spot on or you could loose more than you gain.