PDA

View Full Version : Thile in l.a. last night

jefflester
Jun-05-2008, 7:02pm
Wasn't much of a turnout, the new Largo was maybe half full. Chris played a nice 80-90 min set by himself on his Loar and then brought out Sean and Sara (along with Gabe Witcher and Largo artist in residence Jon Brion) for the encores. Mighty fun little reunion. Chris was quite entertaining throughout the evening in addition to his stellar picking. Though maybe he didn't scoop that extension enough, heard plenty of pick clicks throughout.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-05-2008, 7:11pm
How did I miss this. I wish I had known he was going to be here.

WireBoy
Jun-06-2008, 2:02pm
i was there too. great show! he has such a darn lovable stage persona. nice selection of tunes and 2 bach pieces.

the new Largo is the old Coronet theatre on La Cienga so it's theatre row seating. I miss the nightclub style tables and seating (and the Bar!!) from the old Largo.

Bryan T
Jun-06-2008, 2:20pm
I wish I had known about this. I would have loved to see them play. Do you think they'll do it again soon?

WireBoy
Jun-06-2008, 2:36pm
chris sara and sean are long time regulars at the largo. #what with Chris being very busy these days, he isn't around that much anymore. #however sara and sean have a recuring watkins family hour show on the largo sched. and you never know Who a special guest might be.... check it out
Largo (http://www.largo-la.com/largohome.html)

first string
Jun-06-2008, 2:53pm
There was an interesting (if all too brief) article about Largo in the New Yorker a month ago or so. Mentioned the Watkins Family hour and everything. Wish I had known about the place, and been old enough to frequent it when I was spending a lot of time in LA. Heck, I don't even know if it existed then.

jefflester
Jun-06-2008, 3:35pm
There was an interesting (if all too brief) article about Largo in the New Yorker a month ago or so. Mentioned the Watkins Family hour and everything. Wish I had known about the place, and been old enough to frequent it when I was spending a lot of time in LA. Heck, I don't even know if it existed then.
Guess it depends on how old you are and what years we're talking about. Mark Flanagan opened the most recent version of the Fairfax Largo in 1996. It was sports bar prior to that. But it had also been a music venue before that, I went to a show there in 1990.

Chris was back again last night, returning the favor and sitting in on Sean and Sara's WFH show (though I wasn't there personally). With him living in New York, I don't expect him to be playing at Largo very often.

jefflester
Jun-06-2008, 3:39pm
Chris Thile
June 4, 2008
Largo @ the Coronet
Los Angeles, CA

Thile/Meyer fiddle tune
Wayside
It'll Happen
Bach - Prelude Emaj Partita
Punchbowl
Marie [Randy Newman]
There but for the grace of God goes an excerpt from the 3rd movement of the Blind Leaving the Blind
If You're Gonna Leave Me
Helena
Bach - middle 3 movements of Dm Partita
Silver Dagger
Alone Together [The Strokes]
Song for a Young Queen
Sweet Blue-Eyed Darling

E1: Waltz for Dwayne Pomeroy
Long Hot Summer Days [John Hartford]@
Tell it to Me@

E2: Caleb Meyer [Welch/Rawlings]@
Garfield's Blackberry Blossom@ #(I think)

Chris Thile - solo mandolin and vocals
with
@ "The Follows Camp All Stars"
#Sara Watkins - fiddle, vocals
#Sean Watkins - guitar, vocals
#Gabe Witcher - fiddle, vocals
#Jon Brion - piano

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-06-2008, 3:47pm
AAAAAAAGH! A day late and a dollar short....AGAIN!