PDA

View Full Version : Sanding belts

Jim Hilburn
Jun-05-2008, 12:20pm
I've had my 48" sander since the early 80's and about 4 years ago I got a 80" edge sander from Grizzly along with a supply of belts.
The biggest drawback is the seam on the belt. It tends to grab when you start sanding something with an edge and does the thump-thump thing whenever you use it. It's especially bad when trying to use the end roller for shaping blocks or whatever.
Before I order any more belts, does anyone know if they're available anywhere with less pronounced seams?

sunburst
Jun-05-2008, 12:29pm
I've been using the blue belts, and don't have a problem with the seams "bumping". Perhaps I'm less sensitive to it, but these belts seem as smooth as any I've used and they last longer than most. I'll 'google' around and see if I can find a reference/source and edit it in here if I do.

Sanding belts. (http://click-onsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=portable_belts)

kestrel
Jun-05-2008, 3:14pm
I've used belts from Klingspor http://www.klingspor.com/products/KlgprBlts.htm for years.

After starting up shop, again, a little over a year ago, after a ten-year hiatus, I went back to Klingspor for a bunch of abrasive materials. I was - and still am - astonished at the quality of their sanding materials. There is no thumpity-thumpity-thump with their 48" belts, and IMO, their sheet and continuous belt goods can't be beaten. And, their prices - and service - are great. I also use their "gold series" of 1" belts to sharpen chisels and plane irons prior to lapping and stropping. I have no financial interest in the company - just passing along some information on a company that seems to still know what quality is.

Gene

sunburst
Jun-05-2008, 3:37pm
FWIW, I've used the Klingspor belts too and find I prefer the blue zirconia belts. Might have something to do with the fact that I seldom use a belt finer that 50 grit. I think of the belt sander as a tool for removing material, not sanding a surface.

Jim Hilburn
Jun-05-2008, 4:11pm
Thanks for the input.
I've never had any issue with the 48" which I get at the local hardware but the one's Grizzly supplied are the ones I'm having a problem with.

oldwave maker
Jun-05-2008, 4:37pm
I get the long ones for my griz at woodworkers supply in albq- they can make any length you want, but have the 89" in stock. I cut all my grizzly belts into circles for glue-on sanding discs, the jointbump makes then as useless as **** on a #####!

thistle3585
Jun-05-2008, 8:22pm
I highly recommend Sandpaper America Incorporated in Indianapolis. They make them to your specs which is great for me as I have an old Crouch edge sander that is 56". I think you have to buy a minimum of three. Very knowledgeable people that will discuss your equipment and what type of material you are sanding then recommend a belt material. Their website is www.sandpaperamerica.com. Great place and I believe they make the conveyor belts for drum sanders too.

Joe Mendel
Jun-05-2008, 10:13pm
I've found Grizzly's sanding belts in general to be #un-useable. The 48" inch ones have the same problem with the seam. I like the blue ones from Woodworkers Supply, all of Klingspor's stuff is very good, too.
I have a Grizzly thickness sander and was thinking of sending it back until I put different sandpaper on it. The Grizzly paper wasn't up to the task, it clogged, burned & shredded itself and and ruined a really nice sitka guitar top. The only thing I changed was the paper and it works great now.