PDA

View Full Version : What company to go with

The2became1
Jun-04-2008, 1:46am
I'm interested in building my first mandolin. Wondering what kit or package to go with. Any advise? Considered Stu Mac....or Siminoff because they are more refined.

charlesa46741
Jun-04-2008, 5:07am
I just finished a Siminoff F4 kit in the white. Roger was very helpful in answering my questions and responding immediately to my emails. One issue with a cracked knob on the tuning machine--I didn't know whether I cracked it or it came cracked. Roger replaced it no questions asked. Very good experience. Be sure to get the Stew-Mac video.

JEStanek
Jun-04-2008, 7:15am
How much experience do you have with wood working? If you have only cut some boards and hammered some nails, you may want to go with the International Violin (http://www.internationalviolin.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=MK1) A style kit. The Sides are already on the top. There is some shaping work and finishing for you to gain experience with (and a neck to be shaped and set). If you have some woodworking skills those other kits may be great too.

Jamie

Bill Snyder
Jun-04-2008, 9:19am
...Considered Stu Mac....or Siminoff because they are more refined.
What does that mean?
The ones from International Violin are more finished, ie. they have less work for you to do.

The2became1
Jun-04-2008, 11:43am
From what I can gather the Siminoff is mostly carved....they seem to have more of the process done already. But then one may pose the question, how do you learn unless you do it yourself. Unless the project becomes too frustrating and I decide to jump off the front porch on my head. I didn't even know about the international violin company. I will check that one out.

billhay4
Jun-04-2008, 12:33pm
I think Siminoff will send you a kit at pretty much any stage you want. I may be wrong on this, but I do know the quality of his woods, etc. is very good.
Stew Mac's quality is good, too.
Don't know about International.
Bill

The2became1
Jun-04-2008, 12:48pm
Yes, they will. I talked to him yesterday. Pretty spendy though. I'm just considering if it is worth it to buy some of the tools and try to do more of the work myself.

Matt the Mead Maker
Jun-04-2008, 12:54pm
If you're building and f-style mandolin, I think you'll find that the Siminoff and stew-mac kits will leave plenty of work for you terms of shaping the arches and carving the scrolls. They're definitely not "glue 'em and play 'em" kits.

salleyann
Jun-04-2008, 12:56pm
Be careful,it's addictive!!

The2became1
Jun-04-2008, 1:23pm
Gotta go. Headed for the post office to pick up my new fstyle "Copperhead" by highland strings builder Jason Harshbarger. It is a prototype F5 style he built for "The Mandolin Store" in Az.

man dough nollij
Jun-04-2008, 2:48pm
Gotta go. Headed for the post office to pick up my new fstyle "Copperhead" by highland strings builder Jason Harshbarger. It is a prototype F5 style he built for "The Mandolin Store" in Az.
I saw that one on their site. They seemed pretty stoked on that new builder-- be sure to post a review.

Stephanie Reiser
Jun-04-2008, 4:29pm
I know I am odd, but I would not start with a kit IF I had tools, using Roger's book as a guide. My dad does, and I use his to scratch build. I only had to get luthier-specific tools, of which there seems to be no end. I believe in jumping in head first, but I have never been afraid to tackle anything. I've even been using my neighbor's bandsaw till I recently bought a really good Grizzly.
The first instrument I built was a banjo back in highschool shop class, using a pawn shop banjo for measurements and the pot. (Back then a girl in shop class was unheard of.)
If you don't have access to tools, or are completely lacking of woodworking experience, then I suppose that would be an exception.
Both Roger and S-M seem to have nice kits, if your determined to go that route.

Ken Olmstead
Jun-04-2008, 4:45pm
I saw that one on their site. They seemed pretty stoked on that new builder-- be sure to post a review.
Yes! BE SURE YOU DO!!