PDA

View Full Version : Good mandolin shopping in southern ca?

Bigtuna
Jun-03-2008, 9:01am
I'll be in Southern Califorina for a few days this week, any suggestions where to go besides Buffalo Brothers? How about some good record stores as well. Thanks.

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-03-2008, 12:16pm
Try the Claremont Folk Music Center -
Sundays 11 am - 4 pm

Closed Mondays

Email us at: folkmusic.center[at]verizon[dot]net

Folk Music Center & Museum
220 Yale Avenue
Claremont CA 91711
(909) 624-2928

Parking also in rear of store for concerts a pathway north of the store will lead you back to Yale Ave and the main entrance of the Folk Music Center.

Bryan T
Jun-03-2008, 12:36pm
McCabe's has a pretty good selection of mandolins - imports up through Collings. Westwood Music has a few mandolins. Both of these shops are on the west side. Buffalo Brothers definitely has a bigger selection, but Carlsbad is 100 miles from Santa Monica.

Record stores: Amoeba Records in Hollywood is the place to be. Their selection is amazing. A lot of the smaller shops have gone out of business in the last few years. If you are going to McCabes/Westwood, then you'll be close to Record Surplus, which has some gems.

Bryan

Bigtuna
Jun-04-2008, 7:08am
Thanks!

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-04-2008, 1:51pm
OOPS! Forgot the rest of the week:

Tuesday thru Saturday 10 am - 6 pm
Folk Music Center, Claremont.

A huge selection of diversified stringed instruments - some of which you have never seen before.....

MikeEdgerton
Jun-04-2008, 2:11pm
Keep in mind that the mileage to a destination and the transit time are not related in southern California for several hours each day. Sixty miles rarely equals sixty minutes.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-04-2008, 2:17pm
Keep in mind that the mileage to a destination and the transit time are not related in southern California for several hours each day. Sixty miles rarely equals sixty minutes.
That's not exactly true, Mike. I've made it from LA to San Diego is less than two hours... travelling at 3:00 AM. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

MikeEdgerton
Jun-04-2008, 2:21pm
That's why I qualified it with "for several hours each day". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I made the mistake of leaving Woodland Hills for Tustin one Friday afternoon about 4:30 and taking the 405. I got there about 8:00.